Mangrove snapper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

wwhite3440

Mangrove snapper

Post by wwhite3440 »

Hey All,
I’m sort of new to this forum and I was wondering, has anyone had any luck with mangrove’s on some of the oar reefs or other artificial reefs out of St. Marks? Or what other species are out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: Mangrove snapper

Post by procraftwes »

wwhite3440 wrote:Hey All,
I’m sort of new to this forum and I was wondering, has anyone had any luck with mangrove’s on some of the oar reefs or other artificial reefs out of St. Marks? Or what other species are out there?

I haven't this year but they should be there along with Sheepshead, Also if you keep a Grunt of significant size I suggest keeping them too(tasty). This is the nearshore reefs in about 20-25' of water. If you go deeper to 30-40' you'll do better and maybe get a wayward grouper, red snapper, etc.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I usually have to go over 50’ to target mangs. 70-80 is better for bigger fish. Long ride out of st marks, but I’ve done it in a bay boat.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
wwhite3440

Post by wwhite3440 »

Thanks y’all, my buddy and I went out to the St Marks reefs and another spot. We drifted around,caught a half dozen porgie’s, a few stout shark hits that’s cut the line and we saw some manta rays swim by the boat. The weather was pretty good, it got really still and really hot. Headed in, looking at a big thunder storm to the north, We were glad to get back when we did. I’ll have to wait for that perfect day to go a little farther offshore. Our 19ft tidewater is nice and we feel safe but definitely don’t want to find ourselves in a compromised situation too far out. again, I appreciate the input:)