Amber Jack

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Lvnspeed

Amber Jack

Post by Lvnspeed »

Has anyone been catching them? Any suggestions? Water depth? Bait? Any suggestions?

Ive never caught one and would like to check that off my list.
1998 Scarab Sport twin 300 Mercury Verados
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Amber Jack

Post by Salty Gator »

Lvnspeed wrote:Has anyone been catching them? Any suggestions? Water depth? Bait? Any suggestions?

Ive never caught one and would like to check that off my list.
70’ high relief structure. Any big live bait, blue runners, pinfish. I’ve heard folks say a spade fish is aj candy.
My favorite way to catch them is with a big top water tuna chugger second favorite is with a high speed vertical jig. Good luck, go get em
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Live bait for sure, although they will hit big swimbaits as well.

I've used the "Billfish" series of Eagle hooks which are strong, in a 7/0 size. Rig your bait, and either flat line it or a small sinker to get it down, and hold on.

Make sure you're using at least 65# line, and get prepared to get broken off...and worn out.

Have fun!
All photos copyright @saverymill
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

We caught some smaller ones around Rose City Reef (public #) a few years back. That's south of Dog Island just in federal waters.