Weird Fishing Technique that Works

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Weird Fishing Technique that Works

Post by John21:6 »

It's a good thing that I didn't give up on a technique I learned on YouTube for catching mangrove snapper. A fishing buddy laughed at me, but he is not laughing now. I've proven that macaroni can be used as chum and bait for mangrove snapper.

I made my first attempt at chumming up the mangroves several weeks ago when the water was still dark and cloudy from storms. After slowly tossing 2 lbs. of al dente macaroni into the water, there was no evidence that the fish were responding to it. On Thursday, however, the water was much clearer. After tossing a little macaroni into the water for maybe 10 minutes, the mangroves came into view about 15 feet below the surface. Then, I freelined a chunk of cut bait into the swirling fish. Caught one. To sweeten the deal, I added a piece of macaroni to the cut bait. Caught another one. When the cut bait was all gone, there were a few pieces of macaroni on the deck of the boat. Another fishing buddy (not the one who had been laughing at me) decided that he'd bait his hook exclusively with macaroni. That worked as well.
Badfish

Re: Weird Fishing Technique that Works

Post by Badfish »

I've read about this before but they boiled the noodles in crab boil which didn't make sense because it isn't a natural taste. Did you use regular water or season them with something? I bet fish oil would work pretty good.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Wonder if this approach would work for sheepshead.. interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

That is an interesting idea. Where are you finding these Mangrove? I have caught them in Marathon but have never even tried that far north.

Badfish wrote:I've read about this before but they boiled the noodles in crab boil which didn't make sense because it isn't a natural taste. Did you use regular water or season them with something? I bet fish oil would work pretty good.
I gave the macaroni noodles a little squirt of menhaden oil. I have read the crab boil works, but I didn’t try it.

Big Tim wrote:That is an interesting idea. Where are you finding these Mangrove? I have caught them in Marathon but have never even tried that far north.
Try some of the artificial reefs south of Carrabelle.

Big Tim wrote:That is an interesting idea. Where are you finding these Mangrove? I have caught them in Marathon but have never even tried that far north.
Try some of the artificial reefs south of Carrabelle.