Red Snapper

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Red Snapper

Post by John21:6 »

On Friday, my friends and I launched the boat at Carrabelle in hopes of making use of the last few days of the extended red snapper season. (Thank you, Governor DeSantis.)

We eased our way through the fog, and loaded the live well with pinfish and pigfish. When the fog would clear enough to see, we would head further out. We waited out the fog at one of my more reliable grouper spots. The grouper bite was slow, but we landed and released a 23 inch grouper. Heading further south, the sonar lit up with fish near the turtle towers ledges. We caught a 25 inch red snapper there. We dropped down a variety of baits, pinfish, pig fish, frozen LYs, squid, and ladyfish chunks, but we couldn’t get any more snapper to bite.

Eventually, a buddy arrived on another boat, and we headed to 94 feet of water. We put two more snapper in the cooler and I lost a giant, maybe 30” long, right at the boat. The line snapped. I had been thinking earlier that the nick in my line right above the sinker was minimal and that I did not need to cut out the bad section of line and retie the line to my swivel. Lesson learned.

Overall, it was a great day. nobody made me mad, the boat ran well, nothing broke (except fishing line), we caught fish, and enjoyed creation.
GC88

Re: Red Snapper

Post by GC88 »

It’s funny how many fish are on Turtle Towers and won’t bite. I dove it a couple times and it’s a great dive. I saw probably well over 100 Gags. They were all to small and the big ones didn’t stick around. Those fish see lines all day from bay boats going out 9 miles to the “secret spot.”

We fished as well on Friday and limited out on Snapper and Red Grouper, with about four over 30” or right at it. Probably could have had double that. We headed north at about noon, and around state waters we hit a dense cloud of fog. I have never seen fog like that in the middle of the day, looked like it was out of a movie. We got way to close to a 23ft Contender. It was less dense through the pass which made me feel a little better about not having a collision.

All in all a great day on the water.