Another one that got away

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Juan
Site Sponsor

Another one that got away

Post by Juan »

I seldom go offshore but did yesterday. Hung something I couldn't turn but wanted to see what it was and take a picture of it. I fought that thing and chased it for over an hour and had not gained much on it so tightened the drag and of course he broke the 50# mono. What ever he was, he was slow and since I was fishing a wreck, I'm guessing Goliath or Bull shark.
I did catch a bunch of big "out of season" triggerfish, a big Spanish and a few grunts before going back inshore for trout fishing.
I know...lousy fishing report...but that's all I've got. :-D
20210714_080513.jpg
20210714_084332.jpg
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
leonreno

Re: Another one that got away

Post by leonreno »

Hard to lose them like that. That “large Spanish” looks more like a small king, hard to tell from picture but the lateral line dips more like a king than a Spanish. Did you have any luck inshore with the trout?
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

I'm no expert so it could have been a small king but he had the yellow spots like a Spanish does so I just assumed. The water offshore was beautiful but inshore still looked like strong coffee, only managed two short trout.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report Rick. Glad you got out. Your mystery fish sounds like a big jewfish or nurse shark, but could have been anything. Record gag maybe. Spanish looks like a king to me also, smoke him up.

This is an old thread on the subject

viewtopic.php?p=294529#p294529
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

It’s the ones that get away that always linger in my mind. Thanks for the report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Salty Gator wrote: July 17th, 2021, 9:37 am Thanks for the report Rick. Glad you got out. Your mystery fish sounds like a big jewfish or nurse shark, but could have been anything. Record gag maybe. Spanish looks like a king to me also, smoke him up.

This is an old thread on the subject

viewtopic.php?p=294529#p294529
Thanks for the link David. I didn't know young Kings can have the yellow spots. Been fishing for more than 60 years and still never too old to learn something new. I've also figured out the mystery fish was the Nautilus. :-D
FTReelty

Post by FTReelty »

Heard the "blue fin" were biting-you could have had a big one hooked!
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

If it has to get off, I at least want to see it. I hate to lose a good fish and never know what it was. I didn't know small kings could have yellow spits either, I would have assumed big Spanish. Thanks for the lesson and report.