Scamp Grouper--Fish I Have Yet to Catch

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Scamp Grouper--Fish I Have Yet to Catch

Post by John21:6 »

Fortunately, the list of fish that I have never caught but hope to catch is getting shorter. One fish that I am hoping to get off that list in the near future is scamp grouper. I think that everyone on this forum knows that gag grouper move closer to shore in the cooler water of the fall, but do scamp grouper do the same? Will scamps come in as close as gags or will they still be out deeper?

Thanks for your advice.
tailwaters

Re: Scamp Grouper--Fish I Have Yet to Catch

Post by tailwaters »

They might come in a little shallower during the fall/winter but not as close as gag's. I have caught a few league fish in 60' and when I use to dive would see them in 50' from time to time.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Have always found them in over 100’ and as deep as 300’. Found a limit of gags in state waters Monday. While they coexist to some degree, scamps are deeper.
E2ED05A1-0413-467C-854C-0654714E61F6.jpeg
55CDB753-71C2-4BDC-A885-B02B9F43DED3.jpeg
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Great pictures, Showboat, and thanks for the tip on water depth, tailgaters.