Help, I got skunked on red snapper yesterday.

Use this area to post offshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

John21:6

Help, I got skunked on red snapper yesterday.

Post by John21:6 »

Yesterday, Friday after Thanksgiving, I went out, targeting gag grouper and red snapper. I got skunked. But the fishing forecast on tides4fishing showed that it was supposed to be a six-fish day. I interpret forecasts like that to mean that fish are supposed to jump out of the water and into my cooler. We launched the boat in Carrabelle and we fished shallow, 35’, and we fished deep, 90+’. We did not catch a red snapper, and we did not see snapper trees on the sonar.

Aside from saying that I should have been hunting, any good advice would be appreciated for next season. Thanks.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Re: Help, I got skunked on red snapper yesterday.

Post by Greenbone »

Saturday wasn’t much better. Fished out of Carrabelle to 50’ . No red snappers , all the grunts you’d want to clean. Did manage a couple gags
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

My wife gave me a Christmas gift many, many years ago that had the moon phases and fishforecasts on it. It went up to four fishes. If you saw four fish, you needed to be in the boat and ready to collect. Unfortunatly, like your six fish day, I can count on one hand when it actually worked that way, and in many instances did better on a one fish or two fish day. Same thing when reading major and minor feed times. I'm no expert, but I just try to get out there when I can. If you're around fish and they're hungry, you'll probably get some takers. If they're not hungry, enjoy the ride and the great outdoors, load back up and hit your nearest Chinese buffet.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

Thanks for the comments.