First Cobia

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

CSMarine
Site Sponsor

First Cobia

Post by CSMarine »

Well after thirty years of fishing the flats, my wife finally landed her first cobia. She's hooked dozens, but never landed one. This one was 39 inces and weighed 17 pounds. We got a late start Tuesday because of the low water in the creek, and hard winds. We fished out of my little 14 foot Stump Knocker, that floats in two inches of water. Was able to get out of Yates creek with the trolling motor about 1:30. Headed to my favorite area just south of Spring Warrior Creek.
Water was still pretty skinny so we decided to fish the oyster bars for reds until the tide rose a bit more. Landed one red measuring 26 1/2 inches, and broke one off that was easily over 30 inches. We moved off to four foot of water and started drift fishing. Caught three Spainish, two Flounder, seven trout, and the normal ration of Lady Fish, Sharks, and Catfish. We were about to call it a day about 6:45pm when the cobia hit her line like a freight train. It acted like a large red, so we didn't get excited until it broke the surface. After seeing it, we got serious about landing it.
It took twenty minutes, but after fighting it like a pro, my Honeycoe landed her first cobia.
We fished with our usual bait, shinner tails rigged Texas style with a 1/16 ounce slip sinker. One little bit of info to share. After listening to some of you talk about eating Lady Fish, we decided to keep four and try them out. We scraped the meat out with a table spoon, made into paddys and fried it like Salmon paddies. I'm glad to report that it was absolutely delicious! Firm, white meat, no fishy taste. I'll be keeping them from now on for sure.
SDC10835.jpg
salute2
Last edited by CSMarine on May 16th, 2013, 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Semper Fi
captkeyser
Site Sponsor

Re: First Cobia

Post by captkeyser »

Too cool! Great report and catch!!! Congrats. :thumbup:
Chalk

Post by Chalk »

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Some olive oil and hot coals is all that fish needs :smt007 :lick:
dbplug
Site Sponsor

Post by dbplug »

Very nice!
for petes sake
bman

Post by bman »

First- CONGRATS on the Cobia!!! They are addictive!
CSMarine wrote: One little bit of info to share. After listening to some of you talk about eating Lady Fish, we decided to keep four and try them out. We scraped the meat out with a table spoon, made into paddys and fried it like Salmon paddies. I'm glad to report that it was absolutely delicious! Firm, white meat, no fishy taste. I'll be keeping them from now on for sure.
SDC10835.jpg
salute2
Shocking how good they are right?!?! To the rest of you... TOLD YA SO!
Barry Bevis, Realtor and Owner of BigBendFishing.net
I liked it so much, I bought the company ;-)

http://www.bevisrealty.com
TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

MEGA-congrats to the Mrs. on the cobia! :thumbup: :beer: Don't doubt you or Bman on the ladyfish, but will say this... got to catch an awful lot of ladyfish and go through a ton more work to end up with the suppers y'all are going to get out of that single cobe! :-D
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
bman

Post by bman »

big bend gyrene wrote:MEGA-congrats to the Mrs. on the cobia! :thumbup: :beer: Don't doubt you or Bman on the ladyfish, but will say this... got to catch an awful lot of ladyfish and go through a ton more work to end up with the suppers y'all are going to get out of that single cobe! :-D
Now I know what we are having for dinner when you and the Mrs come over ;-)

TEAM "Duck Season!"
big bend gyrene

Post by big bend gyrene »

Bman, you need to share that picture of the cobia backbones on the grill with CSMarine (and all). Don't think I'll ever carelessly throw another one away. :lick: :thumbup: :beer:
"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank GOD for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Awesome!
tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

That's awesome. Congrats. I can't wait to get my first one.
Last edited by tallykenj on May 16th, 2013, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Back Porch
mjsigns
Site Sponsor

Post by mjsigns »

Good Deal :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Time is the most precious commodity we have in life, stay focused.
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

I would hope that ya'll ain't throwing away the Cobia backbones! Too much meat left on them to toss away.

salute2
Semper Fi
bman

Post by bman »

A little old bay and slap them on the grill...
Good eats!

TEAM "Duck Season!"
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Congratulations on catching the Cobia! I find Lady Fish spoil easily. They may need to go directly on ice.

Lady Fish are one of my favorite fish to use as cut bait. Pretty meat but soft.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: That is a good one for a first Cobe.