Wade Fishing Ochlockonee Bay

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hoxnan

Wade Fishing Ochlockonee Bay

Post by Hoxnan »

My little brother and some friends came up to visit this past weekend so we decided to head down to the coast to do some wade-fishing. We ended up on Ochlockonee Bay and it wasn't long before we found some action. We got into a few schools of pup reds, and we eventually found some of size. We ended up with three slot redfish (a 19" , 21" , and a 25 1/2" my brother's buddy James caught) along with a pile of smaller ones. We had the 21" and the 25 1/2" red on the stringer until two of my buddies each caught a keeper flounder, at which time we decided to let the reds swim away to see another day :thumbup: All in all it was a good day with good company, you can't really ask for much more.

James' Redfish

These are the Flounder
2true

Re: Wade Fishing Ochlockonee Bay

Post by 2true »

:thumbup:
reelbad

Post by reelbad »

Not to good to put a fish of any kind on a stringer and then decide to release it. It may swim away ok but it still may not survive. BTW, why release a red just because you caught the flounder.?
SS-342
Site Sponsor

Post by SS-342 »

Looks like you had a good day and caught a nice mess of fish. Enjoyed reading your report.
SS-342
198DLV CS 115HP
13' Gheenoe 6HP
Hoxnan

Post by Hoxnan »

reelbad wrote:Not to good to put a fish of any kind on a stringer and then decide to release it. It may swim away ok but it still may not survive. BTW, why release a red just because you caught the flounder.?
While that is a fair point, I completely disagree. They were strung through the bottom lip as to not damage their gills and they swam off in a very lively manner after being revived. I string them that way ahead of time to keep them lively in case I catch something more valuable (in my opinion) and would rather release them. And I released the reds because (personally) I find flounder to be far superior table fare, and seeing as we already had a mess of grouper and snapper waiting to fry up at home, why would I want to take more than I need? Sure, I could have kept the reds just to save the fillets, but I already had meat so i'd prefer to let the fish grow to be caught (or breed) another day. I had enough to feed my family and myself that evening with the flounder so why be greedy?
Gulf Coast
Site Sponsor

Post by Gulf Coast »

Just wondering, If puting fish on a stringer is the same as putting them in a cooler/livewell as it relates to culling ?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Hoxnan wrote:
reelbad wrote:Not to good to put a fish of any kind on a stringer and then decide to release it. It may swim away ok but it still may not survive. BTW, why release a red just because you caught the flounder.?
While that is a fair point, I completely disagree. They were strung through the bottom lip as to not damage their gills and they swam off in a very lively manner after being revived. I string them that way ahead of time to keep them lively in case I catch something more valuable (in my opinion) and would rather release them. And I released the reds because (personally) I find flounder to be far superior table fare, and seeing as we already had a mess of grouper and snapper waiting to fry up at home, why would I want to take more than I need? Sure, I could have kept the reds just to save the fillets, but I already had meat so i'd prefer to let the fish grow to be caught (or breed) another day. I had enough to feed my family and myself that evening with the flounder so why be greedy?
:thumbup:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Gulf Coast wrote:Just wondering, If puting fish on a stringer is the same as putting them in a cooler/livewell as it relates to culling ?
I wouldn't consider this culling b/c he didn't replace them. I also wouldn't call it wasting b/c he gave his limit the best chance at survival.

Good report, and nice job of taking only what you want to eat fresh!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
charlie tuna

Post by charlie tuna »

Thank you for thinking about future fish generations SIR !! And after days of consideration, over this post, I have come to the conclusion that - THAT Red had a MUCH better chance at survival, being released, EVEN AFTER BEING ON YOUR STRINGER, than it would inside your freezer. Thanks again !
Rhettley
Site Sponsor

Post by Rhettley »

Good report and some nice fish!
Troutbster

Post by Troutbster »

Nice report, well done.
Hoxnan

Post by Hoxnan »

Thanks to all for the kind words!
charlie tuna wrote:Thank you for thinking about future fish generations SIR !! And after days of consideration, over this post, I have come to the conclusion that - THAT Red had a MUCH better chance at survival, being released, EVEN AFTER BEING ON YOUR STRINGER, than it would inside your freezer. Thanks again !
& I couldn't agree more! :thumbup:
Williamsdad

Post by Williamsdad »

Looks a lot like Bald Point to me. Well done.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

SHOWBOAT wrote:
Gulf Coast wrote:Just wondering, If puting fish on a stringer is the same as putting them in a cooler/livewell as it relates to culling ?
I wouldn't consider this culling b/c he didn't replace them. I also wouldn't call it wasting b/c he gave his limit the best chance at survival.

Good report, and nice job of taking only what you want to eat fresh!
X2
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!