Plan B: Keaton Beach scalloping: Sat 8/23

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Big Bend Brian

Plan B: Keaton Beach scalloping: Sat 8/23

Post by Big Bend Brian »

No weekend soccer practices/games or any Boy Scouts just yet so we took the time for a quick scallop outing before time is in short supply. Did a quick trip to Keaton on Saturday to check out the scallops - just my daughter and one of her girlfriends (wife was on call and my son was fishing a local kayak tournament). I like Keaton as you don’t have to go far from the ramp to scallop and the ramp is excellent with plenty of parking ($5 launch). It’s 172 miles from Ponte Vedra and a 3 hour drive.

At marker #12 I stopped and idled out of the channel pointing southwest into the flats. Pretty clear water and light winds allowed looking at the bottom for scallops as we idled in 4 feet of water. Right away we found the mixed grasses (turtle and manatee grass) that scallops love and started the hunt. Had to move around a number of times but managed our 6 gallons. A few airboats and small jon boats were in the immediate area. Water was 85 degrees with a lot of grass on the surface. It was so nice to have good clear water as last year the water was really
tannin stained.

No underwater shots as my 2 yr old U/W camera flooded during Sport Lobster…..

Beautiful day on the water and the girls had a great time! Scalloping such a good family time!

Brian
Quality Time
Perch Jerker
Site Sponsor

Re: Plan B: Keaton Beach scalloping: Sat 8/23

Post by Perch Jerker »

Sounds like a great time. Thanks for the report.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: Plan B: Keaton Beach scalloping: Sat 8/23

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Great report as always. Nothing like an underwater easter egg hunt. :-D