Short Reds

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Dawg

Re: Short Reds

Post by Red Dawg »

Wow. I definitely didn't expect so many replies. Guess we're not the only ones having a rough February. As for the limit being 2 per day per person, I have yet to pull a double! I've tried but never seem to get that second one in the boat. My son has caught two several times but to his credit(Especially being 16 years old) he will not keep a red less than 22". True sign of a sportsman in my opinion. We've only lived here since August 2014 so I had no idea the limit was one before. I will say we do not fish the same area continually and we eat ALL legal reds we keep. Thanks for the responses.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

I HAVE OFTEN WONDERED WHY THERE ARE SO MANY REDS AND TROUT AROUND THE BARRIER ISLANDS IN LA. I BELIEVE THE LIMIT OVER THERE IS 5 REDS, AND ALMOST EVERY BOAT THAT GOES OUT COMES IN WITH A LIMIT OF LARGE REDS AFTER ABOUT 3 HOURS OF FISHING. THE TIMES I HAVE BEEN THERE WE WOULD JUST DRIFT IN THE BOATS , NEARLY EVERY CAST WOULD BRING IN A TROUT OR RED AND MOST OF THEIR LIMITS ARE MUCH LARGER THAN OURS . IF IT WAS NOT SO FAR I WOULD GO OVER THERE TO FISH AND FORGET ABOUT FISHING IN FLA. WATERS.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

amen on the la. five reds a day 15" min 1 over size, trout 25 12" min.
spoton
Site Sponsor

Post by spoton »

There is just no place like Louisiana for redfish. The salty and brackish marsh is so extensive (even with all the pollution from the oil industry, etc.) that juvenile fish have an incredible estuary in which to grow up. You just can't compare our coastline or most others along the Gulf to that fishery for reds.
Jhults11

Post by Jhults11 »

Louisiana does have an incredible inshore fishery, that's for sure. A good buddy of mine recently went and averaged 80 Reds a day, even catching some on bare jig heads. To reiterate the previous comment, you can't compare the fishery in Louisana to that in Florida. With the insane amounts of nutrients from the Missippi, lush critical habitats for juveniles, and endless shorelines of prime redfish habitat, it's an entire different system. In regards to closing seasons on trout and reds, I could see an argument for trout, but not for reds. One could argue that closing trout season when spawning begins could prove beneficial to the population. Trout spawn during the spring when the water warms to the low 70s, with the peak spawn occurring at the 76-77F range. The problem is, if we close the season during peak spawn, stake holders will be outraged of the closed season when the trout fishing is arguably at the best time of the year. In addition, Redfish are only susceptible to harvest 9 months out of there lifespan. They are realitively fast growing and reach sexual maturity at about 28". At no point are "breeders" susceptible to harvest, thus making a closed season pointless. Just my two cents fellas :thumbup:
"Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after." -Henry David Thoreau