Whats happened to trout fishing?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Dhawk

Whats happened to trout fishing?

Post by Dhawk »

Generally....whats happened to trout fishing?

Seems its gotten more difficult to find/catch legal fish. The shorts, even when they are biting, seem to dominate mostly, with just a few keepers on a normal day.

We always try all the baits, grubs, shrimp, cut bait, with/without popping cork. In shallow water, deeper water, creeks, bars, low tide, high tide and between. Fall, Winter,
Spring....St Marks, Keaton, Steinhatchee, Fenholiway, Aucilla...

Still love to go and be on the water, it just seems keeper trout are more scarce these days. Still, there are an occasional day when you do well, but they are more rare
of late.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: Whats happened to trout fishing?

Post by DixieReb »

That's what I have noticed, too. I think they are just in certain areas now and you have to hunt for them more. Like my old Daddy used to say, if you're not catching fish, then move! ;-)
Yours in the South
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

Agree.....you have to move around. Frequently.
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I'm on the water most weekends and have noticed the same thing. Although my attention is mainly on reds we use to pick up some nice trout in the process. Over the last couple years I've seen less and less. In the last couple months more times than not we don't even catch a trout. I think with all the regulation changes to offshore species it has pushed more people to start fishing inshore. Also they use to close trout during the winter which they don't any more. That's the only thing I can think of because we haven't had a red tide, the winters haven't been too cold and there is plenty of bait around.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Where are the Trout?

More fishermen in Florida every day, with better equipment, better baits, unlimited internet to provide solid intel on where and how to fish, combined with Less undisturbed shoreline and lower water quality equals more stress on every fishery.

What phrase do you hear on here over and over and over. "got my limit" "we all got our limit" "limited out every day".

Reduce the limit on trout to near zero for 2 or 3 years and the flats would be teeming with fat gator trout......but that will never happen.

We are all fishing on borrowed time. :smt012
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

rockyg wrote:Where are the Trout?

More fishermen in Florida every day, with better equipment, better baits, unlimited internet to provide solid intel on where and how to fish, combined with Less undisturbed shoreline and lower water quality equals more stress on every fishery.

What phrase do you hear on here over and over and over. "got my limit" "we all got our limit" "limited out every day".

Reduce the limit on trout to near zero for 2 or 3 years and the flats would be teeming with fat gator trout......but that will never happen.

We are all fishing on borrowed time. :smt012
Well said Rocky
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Dhawk

Post by Dhawk »

I love to fish and catch trout and would hate to see limits lowered even further....but something is amiss. And it seems to be getting worse.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I agree, it needs to be closed in February again. And I would be OK with limits being lowered some, it's hard to catch 5 good fish anyway.
Yours in the South
JIm Smith
Site Sponsor

Post by JIm Smith »

I would go along with a closed season as it used to be.
tabb

Post by tabb »

I was down this weekend and still see lots or sand where there use to be grass.
I have a hard time going down for five trout if I can catch them. If it were lowered
I would probably find something to fish for at home or target another species.
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

WHY DO I SEE TROUT IN THE FISH HOUSES AND GROCERY STORES, THEY SHOULD BE LAWS TO PROHIBIT TROUT FROM BEING CAUGHT BY NETTERS AND SOLD, TROUT SHOULD NOT BE SOLD ANYWHERE, STRICTLY RECREATIONAL FISH, TO BE CAUGHT BY RECREATIONAL FISHERMEN.
PA
SEMPER FI
FUTCHCAIRO
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

You're right, Pa. But go eat at Deal's Oyster House and he has redfish on the menu. I thought they were strictly game fish, what's up with that?
Yours in the South
Steve Stinson
Site Sponsor

Post by Steve Stinson »

PA - I WONDERED THE SAME THING. I WAS IN SOUTHERN SEAFOOD HERE IN TALLY LAST FRIDAY PICKING UP SOME SALMON. THEY HAD SPECKED TROUT ON ICE IN THE SEAFOOD DISPLAY...?
Aucilla
Site Sponsor

Post by Aucilla »

I just looked it up, because I was thinking the specs we see in the store must be from out of state. But no! It is legal, with limit of 150 per boat! Here's the Commission webpage on it: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/recr ... -seatrout/

Here's what it says:
At the Nov. 2011 Commission meeting, the following rules were approved, becoming effective February 1, 2012:

Commercial

Southeast and Southwest region defined
Increase in seasons
Southeast: May 1- Sept 30
Northeast: June 1- November 30
Southwest and Northwest: June 1- October 31
A commercial vessel limit of 150 with two or more licensed fishermen are aboard
Sale of seatrout inventory will be allowed for 30 days after the season closes
Plus some more here: http://myfwc.com/fishing/saltwater/comm ... -seatrout/:

I wonder if they have to keep track of the number caught by the commercial boats.... Like any recreational fisherman, I'd like to start the protections by cutting back on the commercial!
homboyfsu

Post by homboyfsu »

So if I have 5 boats and 2 licence fishermen per boat then I can catch 1500 trout. Wow anybody want to go fishing? I read the above and did I miss something there is no limit size?