St Marks trout thrashing

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishforfun

St Marks trout thrashing

Post by fishforfun »

Mine was one of 35 to 40 boats fishing within 1 mile of the St. Mark's and Wakulla River confluence today. Almost everybody was catching fish but almost all were small, less than 15 in. I personally boated 30 for the one keeper that I came across. My concern is that this is hard on the resource. I did not observe most being particularly careful with their small trout. Many were thrashing on the decks before being released. Although it's fun to catch some fish in the middle of winter, I wonder what this is doing to our trout resource when they're all stacked up trying to keep out of the cold flats where I registered 47 to 48 degrees. They were biting in the 63 degree water upriver. Just wonder how many of thousands of shorts caught survive?
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks trout thrashing

Post by DixieReb »

I think they will survive if carefully handled and released. I try to use a damp cloth to hold them and de-hook them with pliers. I can't say how many survive that get a face full of treble hooks, we had a lot of those on Tuesday using mirrolures.
Yours in the South
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I'm in favor of closing the season during winter, like has been done in the past. 40 boats sitting on top of trout huddled together in that small of area, just trying to survive the cold, doesn't seem good for the fishery. Not very sporting in my opinion either.... I can't wait until spring when they move back out onto the flats!
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Troutbster

Post by Troutbster »

jsaunders wrote:I'm in favor of closing the season during winter, like has been done in the past. 40 boats sitting on top of trout huddled together in that small of area, just trying to survive the cold, doesn't seem good for the fishery. Not very sporting in my opinion either.... I can't wait until spring when they move back out onto the flats!
Well said, I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I don't see how keeping 5 fish in January is any different on the fishery than 5 fish in March or October. The only difference is that you can see all the boats catching in the winter while all the boats are spread out on the flats during the warmer weather. If the fishery is in trouble, the solution is a reduced bag limit year round, not closing the fishery.

We did pretty good on the St. Marks yesterday. Ended up with 10 between 15 and 18, and probably threw back 100 between 14 and 14.999.
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Well that explains why we didnt see a fish all day. I wanted to goto st marks but my stubborn brother didnt want to leave live oak island. There is no fish within 7 miles of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

ugadawg wrote:I don't see how keeping 5 fish in January is any different on the fishery than 5 fish in March or October. The only difference is that you can see all the boats catching in the winter while all the boats are spread out on the flats during the warmer weather. If the fishery is in trouble, the solution is a reduced bag limit year round, not closing the fishery.

We did pretty good on the St. Marks yesterday. Ended up with 10 between 15 and 18, and probably threw back 100 between 14 and 14.999.
I think the concern is not the keepers, but the "100 between 14 and 14.999" and their survival rate. I'm a fly guy and have experienced the trout bite the last couple of weeks. Many of the dinks and just below keeper size take my fly deep. Although I try to release unharmed, I got to believe some are not going to make it. That's with a small hook, hate to think what trebles do.. Not to mention general handling. Closing for a few weeks might not be bad.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

eightwt wrote:
ugadawg wrote:I don't see how keeping 5 fish in January is any different on the fishery than 5 fish in March or October. The only difference is that you can see all the boats catching in the winter while all the boats are spread out on the flats during the warmer weather. If the fishery is in trouble, the solution is a reduced bag limit year round, not closing the fishery.

I think the concern is not the keepers, but the "100 between 14 and 14.999" and their survival rate. I'm a fly guy and have experienced the trout bite the last couple of weeks. Many of the dinks and just below keeper size take my fly deep. Although I try to release unharmed, I got to believe some are not going to make it. That's with a small hook, hate to think what trebles do.. Not to mention general handling. Closing for a few weeks might not be bad.
Correct. My concern is much more about the number of fish caught, mishandled, and released, than the 5 keepers. Although, in my experience, many more people catch a limit while fish are in the river than when they are on the flats.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
flatsbroke22

Post by flatsbroke22 »

Just because the creeks are full don't mean they are being caught. Fished the river today and only caught three keepers and no short trout even though I bet I saw hundreds of them swimming by. From what I heard from the few people I talked to it was that way for them too. Did catch four short reds that were released unharmed. I'll eat some fresh fish tacos tonight though!
2002 Pathfinder 2200v ‘21 200 Suzuki
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

I agree, J. Saunders. It is much easier to catch a limit of trout in the river than out on the flats. The trick for us lately has been to find the right color lure they want, every day seems different. :roll:
Yours in the South
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

DixieReb wrote:I agree, J. Saunders. It is much easier to catch a limit of trout in the river than out on the flats. The trick for us lately has been to find the right color lure they want, every day seems different. :roll:
The last couple times I've been they had no issues eating a Mirrolure 52mr in color 808. I have no doubt they have their picky days though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

I am a little concerned with the impact it has on the fishery. Whoever ask what the difference is between now and March or April is not everyone is catching there limit in March and April. These fish in the rivers are getting pounded everyday. I don’t like fishing the river in the cold because it’s just anchor down and drag fish to the boat, they don’t even fight much, it’s just what you have to do this time of year. I would much rather chase reds in the creeks when the tide allows. As far as people mostly catching short trout, that may be the case now but wasn’t a month ago when the trout first moved in. Lots of over 20” Fish were being caught. Now they have been caught out, I have seen the fish we are catching gradually get smaller. If you handle your fish responsibly I don’t think more fish are dying than normal and I actually think people fishing with treble hooks helps the mortality rate. Treble hooks don’t nearly kill the Fish that small hooks swallowed deep do. I have seen a lot of questionable things going on and I’m starting to lean in favor of a February closer where I was not in favor before. But as long as it is open I’ll be out there because that’s what I do. I’ll just encourage everyone to be responsible, handle the fish with care and don’t keep more than you need. Although I’m sure the members of this forum are not really the issue.

I typed this on my phone so I apologize if it reads “rambley”
Swampcreek

Post by Swampcreek »

Well ya'll don't have to worry about me hurting the population any... :lol: :lol: :cry:
ugadawg
Site Sponsor

Post by ugadawg »

I find it to be the exact opposite of winter fishing vs. spring and fall fishing. When I fish the rivers during the winter, I don't always limit out. Sometimes I find the fish and sometimes you really have to work to figure out what they are biting and what holes they are in just to catch a few. When I go during the spring and fall bite, I always limit out. (I usually don't keep a limit, but I could If I wanted to.) It seems they bite any color then and you just have to find 4 ft. and let the tide start moving.
Apalachee Inshore
Site Sponsor

Post by Apalachee Inshore »

ugadawg wrote:I find it to be the exact opposite of winter fishing vs. spring and fall fishing. When I fish the rivers during the winter, I don't always limit out. Sometimes I find the fish and sometimes you really have to work to figure out what they are biting and what holes they are in just to catch a few. When I go during the spring and fall bite, I always limit out. (I usually don't keep a limit, but I could If I wanted to.) It seems they bite any color then and you just have to find 4 ft. and let the tide start moving.
You can’t look at “winter fishing” as a time frame. It’s all about water temp. You can fish a river in January all you want but if the highs have been in the 70s for 10 days they are not going to be stacked up.