Where'd the fish go?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

Where'd the fish go?

Post by geofish »

I musta got spoiled when the trout were all stacked up in the river. Got out early Saturday morning from the Fort, very windy from the start. I fished a few creek mouths deep and up against the bank, fished the river edge of the channel, fished some favorite oyster bars with good water moving, worked my way out and eventually fished shallow flats from 2-4 feet. Tried gulp under cork, shrimp under cork, shrimp on a jig on the bottom, soft swimbaits with a spinner and without, . . .
Nada.
I haven't gotten skunked like that in a long time -- nothing but a sad little stingray.
Maybe the fish are farther inside the creeks, but my 21' Wahoo can't get too far up there without a fancy new trolling motor . . . Hey, there's an idea! :D
edif

Re: Where'd the fish go?

Post by edif »

I have a 24 volt Minn Kota i am lookin to sell i only used it 3 times went with an I pilot.
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

edif wrote:I have a 24 volt Minn Kota i am lookin to sell i only used it 3 times went with an I pilot.
Sent ya a pm!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geofish

Post by geofish »

Cool, thanks!
Anybody else find fish where the fish were hiding today?
justcoastn

Post by justcoastn »

May want to try some of those spots you have marked further out on the flats. 5-6 feet of water. I went out Monday and beat up on the trout 3 miles out. 6 inch pink shine gulp fluke on 1/8th ounce head slow bounced along the bottom. I couldn't keep the pin fish off it so I switched to a sinking mirrorlure and used it like a jerk bait, just clipping the top of the grass. Pink back with silver sides with spots. Pink was the ticket. Funny thing is, they would wouldn't hit either one unless I cast on a 45 degree angle to the current and left a belly in the line. The incoming tide and wind was pushing me inshore at 1.7 mph. I would cast off the front of the boat on the angle and hold the rod tip high and let the bait fall with a wind belly in the line. Just before the bait hit the bottom on a free fall, I ripped the bait a couple of time and then let it free fall again. Hits came at the bottom of the fall. I wanted fish to grill and threw back anything under 17 inches. Wound up with 5 trout from 17 1/4 to 23 inches. Only one over 20. Water temp was 74 so that's what pushed me out in deeper water and it paid off. I didn't bother counting how many I got but it was a bunch. I'm heading down in a little bit to see if I can get a few more and I guess I'll see if this still works. Seems like every time I go out things change. I like figuring them out so I don't mind making a bunch of unproductive casts to find the right bait and presentation. Heck, I'll find the right combination and start switching baits to see if they will hit something else. Never know when you may run out of that silver bullet bait and need a backup. Hope this helps.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Very helpful! I guess I almost didn't believe my water temp gauge showing 74 degrees in February.
And very interesting on the way you had to cast to get them to hit only pink lures.
The trout wants what the trout wants . . .
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I found a few in deeper water as well, a few in 2ft, but nothing consistent, pink baits for me as well.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I've done well with pink DOA shrimp in the spring months. Maybe this is the reason why:

http://www.fishchoice.com/buying-guide/gulf-pink-shrimp
18-320-1.jpg
18-320-1.jpg (2.57 KiB) Viewed 3218 times
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

I was having a rough day on Saturday. After about 3 hours of fishing the river and creek mouths I was skunked. Decided to head to the rock garden and drift. Managed 3 keeper trout out in about 5' of water. Caught a few shorts and a 2' bonnethead shark as well. We were using live shrimp on a cajun thunder rig.
jsaunders

Post by jsaunders »

I fished Saturday out of Keaton. We caught 20+ keeper trout 16-22 inches (most were released) and another 30 or so shorts. The fish had moved out onto the flats in 4 to 6 foot of water. Didn't catch anything in the creek mouths or on the grass line.
2008 Kenner 21v
2008 Honda 150 4 stroke