St Marks 2/24

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

St Marks 2/24

Post by bbb »

On the water at 10am running East several miles. Hit the mouth of a creek and let the wind push us into it. Floated about 400 yards back into it before I started getting nervous with the rocks and my gel coat. On the way in we picked up an 11" flounder, and 7 reds that went 26", 25", 24", 23", 17.5, 17 and 16.5".

No bites on the way back out.

All reds came on a gold Aqua Dream spoon except for one that hit a gulp. Most of the action was from 12-2. Water temp was 73.2.

Talked to a friend at the ramp that was fishing a couple creeks over. They caught 10 reds and 2 trout.

silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 2/24

Post by silverking »

Nice job, guys. That was one of those sneaky tides that likes to eat gel coat. Glad you found some.

I lost one of my gold ADL spoons the other day and tried a watermelon seed instead. No love, but no more fish when I tied another gold one on either. I'm going to continue to experiment with it. I know some folks like Capt. CA Richardson really like them, but I'm wondering if they wouldn't work better where those little green crabs are more common.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bbb

Post by bbb »

I only had 2 ADL spoons. I fished one and tied one on for one of the other boys and 2 hours later, he was still looking for #1 while I had boated 3. He wanted to change to a gulp. I went to cut the spoon off and.........no hook. Hook had broke off at the eye. Not sure how long he had been "fishing on credit". I took a hook off a clarks spoon and screwed it onto the ADL for another boy to use. 10 casts later he caught a fish.

Check them hooks regularly.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

How long have you had those spoons? Mike had a quality control issue with his hook supplier awhile back. Changed brands and he made good on replacement hooks. Agree though, always a good idea to check them.

I add a stainless steel 35# ball bearing swivel to all mine. Remove the rear tiny split ring on the swivel and thread it on to the original split ring that the spoon comes with. Really helps reduce line twist. Tie on with an improved Clinch knot since the split ring already allows movement.

Stockpiled some swivels that I bought from Cabelas. Just checked and they're not listed anymore. New ownership is already apparent.
IMG_0034.jpg
Last edited by silverking on February 25th, 2018, 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Will In The Wild

Post by Will In The Wild »

Going to be in Steinhatchee Friday and Saturday. Hopefully the spoons will find us a few reds.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Looks like y'all had a lot more fun than I did at steinhatchee, never could get a red to bite, didn't try a gold spoon though. I'm sure the mullet would have been happy for us to catch a few so they would have been left alone. I'm going to have to check my spoons, I have had my adl spoons since 2015.
Troutbster

Post by Troutbster »

Very nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bbb

Post by bbb »

silverking wrote:How long have you had those spoons? Mike had a quality control issue with his hook supplier awhile back. ]
I'm thinking I bought them in Port St Joe last year.