Scallop survey

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

cody0707

Scallop survey

Post by cody0707 »

The 2018 survey is out. Anyone know why Wakulla isn't listed? Looks like the numbers are low for everyone but the eastern part of the bend. Has anyone gone out of St Marks and taken a look?
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Scallop survey

Post by Salty Gator »

Hopefully Redfin won’t blast you for putting a question where local inshore reports are supposed to go. But from what I’ve heard, St Marks is barren this year
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

there's the link for it
http://myfwc.com/research/saltwater/mol ... ps/season/
I expected it to be this bad, great management of our resources. Opening early and leaving the harvest amount were they have been despite seeing a trend in the last few years.
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

Salty Gator wrote:Hopefully Redfin won’t blast you for putting a question where local inshore reports are supposed to go. But from what I’ve heard, St Marks is barren this year
How is the survey not a report? It reports the numbers at the locations reported. Sounds like a report to me. I just followed up the report with a question.
relicshunter wrote:there's the link for it
I expected it to be this bad, great management of our resources. Opening early and leaving the harvest amount were they have been despite seeing a trend in the last few years.
I agree. Also, letting places open up earlier for a longer season doesn't help. I imagine the limit per person/boat will go down sooner or later. Hopefully the small numbers aren't a prediction of the future numbers.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

cody0707 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:Hopefully Redfin won’t blast you for putting a question where local inshore reports are supposed to go. But from what I’ve heard, St Marks is barren this year
How is the survey not a report? It reports the numbers at the locations reported. Sounds like a report to me. I just followed up the report with a question.
I agree. Also, letting places open up earlier for a longer season doesn't help. I imagine the limit per person/boat will go down sooner or later. Hopefully the small numbers aren't a prediction of the future numbers.
I’m just joking with ol Redfin. But the difference is this, a report is a report. Asking for a report isn’t a report. You weren’t giving a scallop report, but asking for one. Splitting hairs I know . Kenton and steinhatchee seem to be the places to go. Good luck, hope you find em and they are fat :beer:
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

Those numbers are terrible when you see that in 2016 both Taylor and Dixie county's were in the 60's . Every area is in trouble the only one climbing is citrus and it's climbing out of a very low point.
cody0707

Post by cody0707 »

Salty Gator wrote:
cody0707 wrote:
I’m just joking with ol Redfin. But the difference is this, a report is a report. Asking for a report isn’t a report. You weren’t giving a scallop report, but asking for one. Splitting hairs I know . Kenton and steinhatchee seem to be the places to go. Good luck, hope you find em and they are fat :beer:
I guues you are some what correct. I did say the report (survey) was out but then I asked for a report about St Marks. Still wondering why they left the number blank. If there aren't any in Wakulla I would have assumed they would have put 0 for the number.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

cody0707 wrote:
Salty Gator wrote:
cody0707 wrote:
I guues you are some what correct. I did say the report (survey) was out but then I asked for a report about St Marks. Still wondering why they left the number blank. If there aren't any in Wakulla I would have assumed they would have put 0 for the number.
Not to beat a dead horse, but a survey isn’t a report it’s a survey. And saying a survey is out is not a report. A scalloping report would be...we launched at ramp x and found them in y feet. They were thick or hard to find etc. A fishing report is similar, put in at ramp x , fished in y feet, caught fish on z bait. Water temp was 85... a scouting report is what I believe you were looking for, as the season doesn’t open in st marks until Sunday... so by the letter of the law this section is for inshore fishing reports, Not for request about fishing reports or scouting. Again, this was a joke to Redfin calling out a member on a similar subject, but it is in writing . Good luck
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Again, this was a joke to Redfin calling out a member on a similar subject, but it is in writing . Good luck
Glad to help :beer:
Redfin
Site Sponsor

Post by Redfin »

Imma get you too!
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

I'm hoping that St. Joe Bay isn't barren this year. I haven't been scalloping there in over 20 years and had planned on taking the kids this year.
relicshunter

Post by relicshunter »

I was trying to calculate last year what the difference in number per gallon for the smaller size scallop that were common due to the early opening. It seemed to be 10-15 more scallops per gallon . I am not meaning the supper small ones that hopefully people put back. My thoughts are that the total number of scallops harvested in the early area went unexpectedly up due to this.I talked with staff at the meetings and it seemed like they had not figured this in or didn't want to admit the problem
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I was in Publix the other day and noticed they had FL bay scallops for $12 a Lb. The per Lb count was 100-150 scallops. For that cost I'd catch then, release them at the end of the day and pay the $12 at Publix just so I don't have to clean 100 plus scallops.

That being said I do wonder how bay scallops are commercial harvested and cleaned. Hard to imagine someone can make money doing that unless the cleaning process is automated and the have a very efficient way to catch them.
Angler719

Post by Angler719 »

tailwaters wrote:I was in Publix the other day and noticed they had FL bay scallops for $12 a Lb. The per Lb count was 100-150 scallops. For that cost I'd catch then, release them at the end of the day and pay the $12 at Publix just so I don't have to clean 100 plus scallops.

That being said I do wonder how bay scallops are commercial harvested and cleaned. Hard to imagine someone can make money doing that unless the cleaning process is automated and the have a very efficient way to catch them.
The commercial harvest of bay scallops is not legal in the state of Florida.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I think those would be calico bay scallops, those are still commercially harvested I think.