Spanish - Dog Island Reef

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Willie

Spanish - Dog Island Reef

Post by Willie »

Has anyone heard if the Spanish have shown up on Dog Island Reef yet? Heading down next week with the family for spring break and want to give it a try with the kids.

Any help is appreciated.

Willie
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: Spanish - Dog Island Reef

Post by Salty Gator »

I heard of some being caught in st marks, so dog island reef should be on fire with them next week. Good luck, catch em up
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Willie

Post by Willie »

Appreciate it SG. :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

No problem, do y’all plan to troll or cast for them?
Willie

Post by Willie »

Plan is to troll. Is there something you need to look for if casting? Birds etc?
thebpac

Post by thebpac »

I plan on trying trolling for them for the first time this weekend. I keep my boat at Shields. Any first timer tips?

I caught a few fishing for trout on the flats last week.
thebpac

Post by thebpac »

I plan on trying trolling for them for the first time this weekend. I keep my boat at Shields. Any first timer tips?

RCS
Site Sponsor

Post by RCS »

00 Clark spoons with light wire or #40 mono leaders should do the trick.
Willie

Post by Willie »

I normally use a christmas tree rig with a spoon clipped on the end. Seems to work well for trolling.
John21:6

Post by John21:6 »

thebpac wrote:I plan on trying trolling for them for the first time this weekend. I keep my boat at Shields. Any first timer tips?

I have my best odds of getting bites from Spanish Mackerel when I use an expensive lure with 20 pound fluorocarbon leader. Seriously, I’ve caught a lot of Spanish using cheap got-cha lures when the fish are in groups thick enough to make the water boil.
Last edited by John21:6 on March 28th, 2019, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Everyone has their method and they all probably work. The reason I don’t use Christmas tree rigs is because the first time I used one, I got 4 big mean bluefish all at once going crazy, big big mess..... never again.. I have the best luck on dog island reef casting and trolling small (1/4 oz and smaller,,, vary sizes also if you’d like) Johnson spoons. I start a one gold and one silver and switch to whatever works better. I use 30 lb fluro with no wire( small ball bearing swivel and a split ring to the spoon). As fast as you can troll/ reel without your spoon skipping on the surface. Want to see a good wobble on your rod tip when your trolling. You will get an occasional cut off, but not nearly as many as you’d think. And use a 4-6” trace of wire if you want. But they will hit swivels and cut your mainline. For casting, burst are great, but a Johnson spoon fan casted is an excellent “search” bait. They are weedless and work well in summer when grass can be an issue..Good luck, catch em up. Keep them iced down like crazy and eat em fresh... yum. post up a report
BloodyChamp

Post by BloodyChamp »

The forum has really jumpstarted after a dead battery lol love it
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Peruse local Walmarts for the gotchas and similar on deep discounts. 40lb leader or lighter with a 4" 20lb wire leader. That'll get you most of our toothy critters out of those bait pods

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image