Black, tan and reds

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Black, tan and reds

Post by silverking »

My first mate, Zane the Rottie, and I just got back from our annual camping trip. This time we chose Dog Island with the tides, proximity and access. Transferred all our gear from the truck to the skiff and eased across the Sound about mid-day Tuesday. Didn't have much freeboard with the load. After setting up camp and eating lunch, we set off to find some fish. The reds proved cooperative, the trout not so much.

Had tied on a watermelon seed Aqua Dream spoon for starters and it proved to be the hot color. Six upper slot reds on it before it somehow slipped off the split ring. Failed to check it after twisting the hook loose on a thrashing fish, so my fault. Of course, it was the only one of that color in my box. Chartreuse worked almost as well for remainder of slot and a couple puppy drum. Ended the day with 13 reds and one small trout on topwater.

Enjoyed the sea breeze, a toddy or two and supper of red beans, rice and Andouille sausage (Purina Pro Kibble for the boy) that night before the bloodbath began. Thought the breeze would keep them down, but clouds of no-seeums chewed on us relentlessly before we took shelter in the tent. Got up a couple times in the night to check on the boat and a shrimper trawling and let in a good number of skeeters when I did. Their buddies joined them for the breakfast buffet despite multiple citronella candles. My Thermocell didn't seem to be working. Finally slacked off when the sun got higher, but both of us are suffering from anemia.

Took a long hike along the beach waiting on enough water to come back in. The wind was howling out of the east, making for sloppy seas. We salvaged the day with six more reds, all upper slot. They liked the gold Aqua Dream spoon that morning.

Water was silty in places due to the east wind, but very clear in the shallows. Temps ranged from 64 to nearly 70 degrees by later afternoon.

Didn't relish the thought of another night of insect hell, so we packed it up and came home early. Still a fun time and quality fishing.
IMG_9211.jpg
IMG_9218.jpg
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
guthooked
Site Sponsor

Re: Black, tan and reds

Post by guthooked »

That looks like fun. Other than the no see um's.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

cool trip Dave. Glad you found the reds. Zane is looking good!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
RiverRunner

Post by RiverRunner »

Cool! I want to do that one day...
Bailey

Post by Bailey »

Nice write up. I want to try that one day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BillytheKid

Post by BillytheKid »

It seems that the no see um's are unusually bad this year.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

You know it's bad when the Thermocell doesn't keep them away! Sounds like a great fishing trip!
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Looks like an awesome time to me, its on my bucket list as is camping on Cumberland island up the brickhill river. I don't think my old lab has it in him to tag along though.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Bugs or not, we'll do it again next year before it gets too hot. Our mild winter didn't do much for killing off the critters.

Brian, it's been an ordeal at times, but Zane is settling down with age. He's 120 pounds of pure muscle and full of P&V.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Did you try any deep woods off? Keeps gnats and skeeters off pretty good. That's a lot of reds, I bet it was fun.
Yours in the South