Lanark 4/17

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

silverking
Site Sponsor

Lanark 4/17

Post by silverking »

An earlier check of the weekend forecast made me shift work and go fishing yesterday. Should have stayed at the computer instead.

Winds were supposed to be SE 10-15. More like 15-20. Slogged across to Dog in three-footers and reached protected water only to find nobody home. Shallows were clear and about 69 degrees, a major drop from the 77 temps I found last Friday in St. Marks. Checked out multiple spots along both Dog and SGI. Had shots at a couple finicky reds and one big sheepie. Tons of cow nose rays and common stingrays. Small pods of mullet but no other bait present.

Ended up with a slot red on gold Aqua Dream 3/8-ounce spoon and a spunky bluefish on DOA gold/glow shrimp.

Had slicked off to only two-footers when I finally headed in. Water temps were up to 72 by afternoon. Exedrin night, especially after the Braves' bullpen blew another game.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Price3275

Re: Lanark 4/17

Post by Price3275 »

Well I don't watch the Braves, but I'd much rather do that than sit at a keyboard! I don't know how true it is, but I heard the tripletail are sneaking in over that way already. :thumbup:
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report Capt Dave. Nothing wrong with a solid red on a spoon and those blues pull like crazy. Glad you got out
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Should have known it would be blowing like stink. I had the fly rod on board. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Any day on the water is better than the best day at home. :thumbup: I went yesterday too for the first time since the knee replacement 3 months ago and found the same conditions in Panama City. Had to fish spots that were out of the wind and even those spots were rough since 99% of thee trees that used to provide a wind break aren't there any more. Got one heck of a wind burn but ended the day with 95 undersized trout and 5 keepers from 22" to 17" in the cooler.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Did the same thing. Seemed to take forever from Carrabelle to Dog Island. Only difference was I got into the lady's at the west end. I think they would have hit granny's bra. Anyhow, various clousers and shrimp kept them in the air. A bite off seemed to indicate a Spanish was the only other action.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

eightwt wrote:Did the same thing. Seemed to take forever from Carrabelle to Dog Island. Only difference was I got into the lady's at the west end. I think they would have hit granny's bra. Anyhow, various clousers and shrimp kept them in the air. A bite off seemed to indicate a Spanish was the only other action.
Shrimp patterns were olive and pink. Both worked equally.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Glad you guys found some. eightwt, bet that was a fun ride across the sound in the Whaler.

Juan, congrats on getting back on the water. Know that was a long time coming.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

This talk of Lanark has me counting the days til May first. I'm ready to get the Pathy out of her long and unhappy winter hibernation.

Let's roll. :)
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
CSMarine
Site Sponsor

Post by CSMarine »

Had wind between yates and the Warrior also yesterday, it's a little better protected than where you were I guess. I'm lucky in that after I clear the mouth of yates I only had to run a quarter mile to where I start. My 17 foot Stumpnocker is one of the driest running small boats I've ever owned. That helps. Still no white caps or hard swells like y'all seemed to have had.
Semper Fi
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

[quote="silverking"]Glad you guys found some. eightwt, bet that was a fun ride across the sound in the Whaler.

Once I got to the mouth of the river I realized the weatherman had lied again, Lol. She's an old soul so I always keep it slow in a chop and did so crossing. At least once you got in the lee of the island your safe. I can't imagine the 6 to 8 seas the Skiff Challenge participants endured at night in that storm. Shows how good those boats and captains are.