Caught my first barracuda today...in Stoney Bayou!

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Caught my first barracuda today...in Stoney Bayou!

Post by GaryDroze »

In the spirit of eating everything I catch at least once, I'm putting it in the pan. Fillet looks great, and it was at the low end of the slot limit (18 inches), so I don't expect to suffer poison. I guess they are following the snook migration!
eightwt

Re: Caught my first barracuda today...in Stoney Bayou!

Post by eightwt »

Cool! A bone won't be far behind. Get a pic?
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

That's awesome.

Barracuda is pretty good to eat, a flaky white flesh.

Enjoy!
All photos copyright @saverymill
FUTCHCAIRO

Post by FUTCHCAIRO »

DONT YOOU EAT THAT CUDA, IF YOU DO YOU WILL BECOME ONE SICK SUCKER. PA
FUTCHCAIRO
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

It was very tasty and I feel great!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Are you glowing in the dark yet? :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
fishTheBend

Post by fishTheBend »

Pics or didn't happen Gary.
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks gary
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

Small cudas are pretty tasty and little to no risk for ciguatera like the big ones. I always caught them in south fl inshore fishing and would rather eat a "trash" fish over a trophy(AKA sailcats).
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

BTW I was using 12lb mono and was amazed to not be cut off. The line was wrapped around its choppers, with hook flopping outside his mouth, a few inches behind. Had a cutoff on the cast right before that one. Perhaps there was more than one in there? I'm sure thin mono would have had no chance against a biggun, but given that I haven't yet seen an adult snook in refuge waters, I can't imagine any scary large cudas have made their way up here yet. If they have, just another reason to be excited about wade-fishing hereabouts.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Cudas under 20lb are usually ok to eat. However, above that a fishery biologist told me that get a very high mercury level and shouldn't be eaten. Personally, I've never tried one.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
WetBandit

Post by WetBandit »

Apparently they are showing up all around the Big Bend area.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2019/10 ... ing-4cast/

Here's the excerpt:
"Homosassa to Steinhatchee
Includes Homosassa, Crystal River, Yankeetown, Waccasassa Bay, Cedar Key, Suwannee, Horseshoe Beach, Steinhatchee and Keaton Beach

November 1-3

Coming into November, our hunters moon runs later than our friends to the north because we are still in summer. Crazy catches have been coming to the dock like barracudas on the Big Bend waters. I’ve seen them here and there on occasion but not multiple anglers catching them in the same weekend."
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

I had one on briefly during a recent trip east of the Lighthouse. They are fun to catch.

Sure the proliferation has nothing to do with coastal water temperatures since the planet can't possibly be experiencing climate change.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
tailwaters

Post by tailwaters »

I know we don't see the small ones inshore too often but we sure do have some monsters living just offshore. I see them on just about every wreck from 30' on out. The true monsters hang around the towers with some exceeding 50lbs. I've lost countless Bonita and Kings to those guys. You can occasionally catch them on live pilchards and artificials but for a sure thing use live ladyfish! Bluefish work too.
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Post by procraftwes »

silverking wrote:I had one on briefly during a recent trip east of the Lighthouse. They are fun to catch.

Sure the proliferation has nothing to do with coastal water temperatures since the planet can't possibly be experiencing climate change.
They sure do put on a show.

As far as mercury the higher up the food chain a fish and the longer it lives it will contain more mercury. Full grown barracuda contain higher than normal levels of mercury but no more than some types of tuna(both are high).. The major issue is ciguatera. A small barracuda will probably contain as much mercury as any other flats fish and potentially less because of age. As far as I know only fish that live in deeper reefs get ciguatera but I could be wrong.. A small Barracuda is very unlikely to have it though.