St. Mark's, Christmas Week

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

St. Mark's, Christmas Week

Post by Srbenda »

With the pressure on to keep some nieces and nephews happy with some fish, Christmas Eve managed a few presents for our boat.

We saw a few schools of fish together in the river, and live shrimp or cut ladyfish produced fairly well, all on silver/ sand trout. We saw a few specks throughout the day, but not in any numbers and all short.

We did end up with 7 or more keepers.

On the incoming tide, we fished a creek mouth, hoping for a red, but were rewarded with three sting rays instead.

Water temps halfway to the lighthouse were 59f, whereas up the St Mark's, temps were around 63f

Merry Christmas!

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
Last edited by Srbenda on December 29th, 2019, 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
All photos copyright @saverymill
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Mark's, Christmas Eve

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: Good job with the kids! Nothing wrong with silver trout, they make a fine meal. Thanks for posting, Merry Christmas!
Yours in the South
geofish

Post by geofish »

Good report. I went mid-day up & down the river & creek mouths at low tide& caught nothing but ladyfish. I did see another fellow fish a spot I had just left and he pulled in a big overslot trout right by the fort. They seem scattered for now . . . Or maybe I'm the one who's scattered!
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

The fish are definitely scattered about. There was no place that really worked consistently, but we lucked into some of the fish.

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Fished yesterday again with better luck. We drifted along some spots on the St Marks river, and ended up with a nice cooler of fish. Most were sand trout, with very few speckled trout among them.
We caught the fish on jerkbaits, shrimp and some cut ladyfish after one was unfortunate enough to be caught by us.

Boat traffic was heavy, both fishing and pleasure-craft, but it was a beautiful day to be on the water!

With a house full of people, we opted for a fish fry and enjoyed some fresh caught trout for dinner!

tallykenj
Site Sponsor

Post by tallykenj »

Nice. Congrats.
The Back Porch
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

Good-looking meal there! I need to get down there and fish for some of the white trout, they can be fun to catch.
Yours in the South
geofish

Post by geofish »

Looks delicious! I plan to try the river again tomorrow.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

geofish wrote:Looks delicious! I plan to try the river again tomorrow.
I'll be down there again tomorrow. Stop by and say hello!

Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

We fished again yesterday, with a later start getting on the water around 1030. Water temps were up significantly, nearing 69f on the Wakulla, and downriver I never saw below 65. However, fishing was a bit slower than Thursday, perhaps due to the eleventy-million boats on the river. Boat and fishing traffic seemed heavier than in peak summer with lots of effort needed in watching out for everyone else, especially a crew in an older red CC that hammered up and down the river several times tossing out a nasty wake.

Despite all that, we had a solid day of catching. We started early with a nice mid-slot redfish, caught on a white 5" jerkbait which stayed in the cooler for dinner, we also kept 2 more sand trout, but everything else was catch and release.

Picked up a few solid speckled trout on the jerkbait as well, and some on a popping cork in shallower waters.

The sandtrout were not as hungry today, and though we could "see" them sometimes, eliciting a strike from them was much tougher, perhaps due to the heavy boat traffic or later start to the day.

Late afternoon the wind calmed down, the boat traffic went away, and it was a beautiful afternoon.

FishWithChris

Re: St. Mark's, Christmas Week

Post by FishWithChris »

Heck yeah man, awesome stuff.

Sent from the KetchupPacket
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image