South Florida Peacock Bass

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

bbb

South Florida Peacock Bass

Post by bbb »

1/2/20
Hit a bait shop in Plantation Florida at 2pm to pick up some shiners to make this attempt easier. Asked where we should start and he pointed 50 yards down the road. Hit the bridge and within 10 minutes we had 3 largemouth bass released, but no Peacocks. Walked down 100 yards to another bridge and it was on. We caught 4 Peacocks, a largemouth and broke off 2 more over the next hour. 24 shiners gone.
ImageImageImageImage

1/4
Woke up and hit the bait shop for 24 shiners. I had marked 9 bridges I wanted to try that were in the area. After almost 2 hours we only had one fish to show for our efforts. ImageSo back to the bridge we had the most luck at with our last 10 shiners. We pulled 5 Peacocks out at this spot including one that had our hook from the previous day.

We talked to some kayakers who were catching snook earlier that morning and had seen some tarpon too. All this happening in a canal next to the highway.

Might have to make it an annual trip.
Last edited by bbb on January 7th, 2020, 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: South Florida Peacock Bass

Post by silverking »

Nice. Peacocks are a blast. They were stocked in the canal behind our house when we lived in Hell, I mean Pembroke Pines.

The lakes around Miami International are full of them and cichlids, too. There are several guides who specialize in targeting peacocks. And then there's always Brazil. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

very cool. My MIL lives on Jacaranda Golf Course in Plantation. I've never really contemplated fishing there, but my nephews catch cichlids in her back yard all the time.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Ahhh awesome stuff !!! I'm in Boca / FLL / Weston areas 4 - 5 times a year and want to make it out and about to snag some peacocks before hitting client sites but never do.

Motivation for me now since I'll be there end of the month! Cheers!
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Nice! :thumbup: Those things are mean. Never caught one in the canals but used to net all sorts of guppies and black mollies out of those canals a long time ago. I'd like to try that one day since there's got to be some big uns in those canals and my biggest peacock came from Panama and is only 3 lbs (and he's hanging on the den wall). :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

FishWithChris wrote:Ahhh awesome stuff !!! I'm in Boca / FLL / Weston areas 4 - 5 times a year and want to make it out and about to snag some peacocks before hitting client sites but never do.

Motivation for me now since I'll be there end of the month! Cheers!

I've got just the travel fly rod for your trips, Chris. :wink:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
bbb

Post by bbb »

While the girls took the Turnpike on the way home, the boys took 27 north into Clewiston and ate lunch at Roland Martins Tiki Bar. Then we stopped in the town of Okeechobee and caught our 1st Lake Okeechobee bass.

Notice Nic is not happy. The score was 2-0 at this point.

He caught a dink but now he’s happy.
GusMccrae

Post by GusMccrae »

some of those pics look like snake boots would be in order
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

very nice! I suspect any body of water down there has some marine life lurking about.
All photos copyright @saverymill
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice!! I have heard those are a blast to catch, diff on my bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk