Steinhatchee 1/28-29

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Steinhatchee 1/28-29

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

In between meetings for work I had a few days to sneak away and since Tuesday was supposed to be a beautiful day, what better to do than to visit the hatch. The view Tuesday morning had me feeling good about the day

The view I had one exit above the exit for live oak was not very pleasant

First time I have ever left the house without my dewalt 20v impact, won't make that mistake again. So after the inconveniences of changing a tire on the side of i75, we got our hotel room and put in the river. Now the Facebook scuttlebutt claimed fish were roaming the flats and I went to a reliable spot near Rocky Creek to find these fish. However, the water temperature was 57 and things didn't look good. However, on my second cast with a broke back corky I hooked the biggest trout I had ever seen and fought him halfway to the boat only to see the great yellow mouth spit out my corky. Of course I took this as a good sign and we proceeded to waste away the day chasing elusive trout that were likely way up the creek. We then proceeded to return to the river and I immediately caught a short that would be the only bite we had since everyone else seemed to have to return home for supper and there were plenty of wakes in the river rocking us all about. The water temperature was a much warmer 60.8f though. We then went to the mouth of the river and I caught the first keeper of the day that went right back into that cool water.

My poor partner has yet to have a bite and afterwards I proceed to hook a healthy red that I some how managed to loose while simultaneously managing to spook a huge school of reds with the boat and all my fishing partner has to show for the day is the sunset.

We proceeded to fiddler's for dinner and we're greeted the next morning with cold and clouds. We did manage about two dozen trout by 11 when we decided lunch was in order instead of sitting in the rain. They were hungry little buggers with a few keepers mixed in. Even if some were a bit outclassed by the lure, at least Wayne caught some fish.

Still good fun and beats a day at the office for sure.
dropaline

Re: Steinhatchee 1/28-29

Post by dropaline »

nice report!!!!!!!
zload
Site Sponsor

Post by zload »

Any day ending with a sunset like that is a good day!
2008 Key West 196 Bay Reef
2008 Yamaha 150
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Thanks for the report. And you're right, beats sitting in the office.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

zload wrote:Any day ending with a sunset like that is a good day!
Definitely!

It was definitely better than what was waiting on me in the office: