St. Marks Monday Feb. 3rd

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

St. Marks Monday Feb. 3rd

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

BEAUTIFUL calm clear sunny day. Got to the Fort ramp at about 8:00 AM, just a little fog there & on the upper river, but clear about a half mile south. Was jacket cold early on but warmed up to 70 by afternoon. As it was so calm & clear we decided to head out to St. Marks reefs first. Neither of us had ever been. We were in my buddy's new-to-him Mako 18LTS with jack plate & 115 Merc. Noice boat! I had GPS'd all 4 St. Marks reefs and sure enough there they were, easily visible on the bottom, in the very clear cold February water. Bunch of culverts & rubble. It was so calm and still we went from one reef to the other with the trolling motor. Anchored & fished some live shrimp, had some bumps & looked down and we could see a big gray triggerfish pecking away at our shrimp. Couldn't catch him. Out of season anyway. We eventually managed two keeper flounder & caught some short BSB's. Then we headed inshore to check the deep flats (nothing doing) and then around Black Rock. Also no takers. As we were motoring slowly towards shore from Black Rock in the shallows, a lone young dolphin came streaking towards us, then proceeded to zig back & forth just in front of (and under) the bow. looking up at me now and then as I stood in the bow. It occurred to us that he was looking for fish to flush out of the grass that the boat scared up, like egrets following a tractor mower at the side of the interstate. Or, maybe some people would throw fish to him and he was checking to see it we would. He did that for about 3 - 4 minutes. Quite entertaining!

We eventually located some trout and reds in the usual places, limited on trout and got one keeper red. Just a beautiful mild pleasant day, and we even caught some fish.
Greenbone
Site Sponsor

Re: St. Marks Monday Feb. 3rd

Post by Greenbone »

Thanks for the report, been thinking about fish’n St Marks creeks soon.
DixieReb
Site Sponsor

Post by DixieReb »

:thumbup: :thumbup: Nice, Ted. I guess there's no trout up the river now with the warmer weather and now the rain. :(
Yours in the South
Seferino
Site Sponsor

Post by Seferino »

Good repoert.. Hvnt been out in awhile.. Been watching the trees grow. I just curious ,, pretty day u had did u see much in the way of Baitfish?