St Marks 4/18: A quickie

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Well, the hub kit that came for the ole seapro was the right hub but had the wrong bearings, so we decided to sneak in one last trip this month by borrowing a boat. I guess 530 was too early for the cat:

It was a strange drive, I never pull the boat with my truck down, I pull it to meet Bobby and he pulls it, so it was a bit of a strange drive or maybe it was because I looked at the radar and we actually had a serious discussion in his driveway about whether it was worth going.

But we decided we could handle the rain as long as the lightning stayed offshore. Turns out the borrowed boat ran good, the rain wasn't that bad and while the plan was to chase Spanish, the first stop netted a keeper trout on the first cast so we had high hopes.

Our team dynamic was a bit off though as our roles were reversed for this trip.

But, after the excitement of several large bluefish, I caught our lone Spanish of the day.

However, we never found another Spanish the rest of the day, found the one and the blues in 5ft, we tried all the way out past the stake line out to 12ft and even tried trolling spoons near the stake line. We spent too much time chasing Spanish for the smoker. We still ended up with a nice mixed bag with 5 keeper trout, one Spanish, 4 blues and a very nice seabass. We caught almost everything in 4-5ft in the rock garden, one trout did come from 3 ft but it was a fluke. The margherita lime chicken and iguana daiquiri trout tricks were the preferred color as usual. Topwaters poppers in chartreuse bones and pink bones were not very strong even with the overcast sky. A newpenny chatterbait was solid as well, as was a purple death broke back corky.

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:Well, the hub kit that came for the ole seapro was the right hub but had the wrong bearings, so we decided to sneak in one last trip this month by borrowing a boat. I guess 530 was too early for the cat:

It was a strange drive, I never pull the boat with my truck down, I pull it to meet Bobby and he pulls it, so it was a bit of a strange drive or maybe it was because I looked at the radar and we actually had a serious discussion in his driveway about whether it was worth going.

But we decided we could handle the rain as long as the lightning stayed offshore. Turns out the borrowed boat ran good, the rain wasn't that bad and while the plan was to chase Spanish, the first stop netted a keeper trout on the first cast so we had high hopes.

Our team dynamic was a bit off though as our roles were reversed for this trip.

But, after the excitement of several large bluefish, I caught our lone Spanish of the day.

However, we never found another Spanish the rest of the day, found the one and the blues in 5ft, we tried all the way out past the stake line out to 12ft and even tried trolling spoons near the stake line. We spent too much time chasing Spanish for the smoker. We still ended up with a nice mixed bag with 5 keeper trout, one Spanish, 4 blues and a very nice seabass. We caught almost everything in 4-5ft in the rock garden, one trout did come from 3 ft but it was a fluke. The margherita lime chicken and iguana daiquiri trout tricks were the preferred color as usual. Topwaters poppers in chartreuse bones and pink bones were not very strong even with the overcast sky. A newpenny chatterbait was solid as well, as was a purple death broke back corky.

Solid. Glad you went and got some.. I sat still thinking the weather was going to get to us...bad decision on my part

That 4-6ft depth does seem to be the most active, I’ve been finding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
luckywsp

Re: St Marks 4/18: A quickie

Post by luckywsp »

Those Spanish are deliscous in ceviche if you haven’t gone down that road. One is perfect for that as well
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

Double post
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

luckywsp wrote:Those Spanish are deliscous in ceviche if you haven’t gone down that road. One is perfect for that as well
I have only had ceviche with scallops, shrimp, and squid. I need to try it next time with a Spanish, normally I throw it on the grill or smoker for me and let my wife have a trout.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Nice catch! How do you fix the blues?
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Juan wrote:Nice catch! How do you fix the blues?
Normally I throw them on the grill with lemons and old bay, but this time they are getting fried because I try to give my parents fresh fish when I can and my dad likes them fried. I think they're pretty good fried with some spice to them but I wont try to freeze them.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

Juan wrote:Nice catch! How do you fix the blues?
I smoke the bluefish, they absorb the flavor superbly.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Getting a little off topic. But anyone smoking ANY fish would do Themis favor by brining and setting up a nice pellicle. This is a salmon smoking link. This is where I learned about the pellicle, boy you can do it w any fish. I never ever smoke any fish without brining for 4-12 hours ( depends on thickness) and setting up the pellicle overnight. Then rub and smoke. ( a pellicle is a laquor type coating that you get after you brine and put in the fridge for a while, the smoke and rub stick better and make an excellent bark. Please try for yourself ( my brine is 1/4 cup kosher salt and 1/4 cup packed brown sugar per quart of water. Thank me later fish smokers salute1

https://honest-food.net/how-to-smoke-salmon-recipe/
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I've never brined them, I'll have to try it. Normally I throw Dillodust on them and smoke them just with the rub.
Srbenda

Post by Srbenda »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I've never brined them, I'll have to try it. Normally I throw Dillodust on them and smoke them just with the rub.
Brining is critical, and the pellicle make a huge difference too

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
All photos copyright @saverymill
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Y’all ever had the smoked fish from Mineral Springs?

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Red Beard wrote:Y’all ever had the smoked fish from Mineral Springs?

Sure, but mine is better. So is my dip
Attachments
3BFBE5E5-BFF3-4D26-93A9-4B14BCFDA79D.jpeg
BCD0B4F1-C0BA-4C18-8965-F791D081F24D.jpeg
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Red Beard wrote:Y’all ever had the smoked fish from Mineral Springs?

Their Hot Mess dip is some of the best I have ever had. SG, those filets look impressive!!!

We need a potluck soon [GRINNING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk
Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Salty Gator I do not doubt your smoked fish is good and looks good too.

I smoked a lot of fish working at Mineral Springs, and ate a lot too.

Last edited by Red Beard on April 21st, 2020, 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.