St Mark's 7/2: Just a quick trip to kill a day

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

doomtrpr_z71

St Mark's 7/2: Just a quick trip to kill a day

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Since no one wants to work the day before a 3 day weekend, we decided to sneak down to St Mark's this morning. We got off to a later start due to one of us forgetting their wallet and then McDonald's in Ashburn gave spicy chicken mcgriddles in the place of sausage McMuffins. But someone had a way worse day when they tried to put a sailboat in at the lighthouse ramp and ignored the warning about the curb at the end of the ramp.

Off we went in the vicinity of grey mare, most boats were out scalloping around grey mare and we were in the minority since we weren't scalloping. If the weather report hadn't been calling for clouds and rain I would have brought snorkeling gear instead of rain gear. We also had plenty of avian guests at grey mare as we drifted by.

Well after fishing from 6ft in to the creeks behind grey mare, we hadn't caught anything, the floating grass was probably the worst I've seen at St Mark's. The creeks were bare of reds though and things were looking rough. Well 6ft didn't work around grey mare, it did work further west back towards the lighthouse. It was on then, we caught 5 keepers , no real big ones pretty quick and a few shorts.

Weird thing, we tried bumping deeper water with jigs with no luck, we only caught fish on trout tricks with popping corks, the area we caught this fish in had floating grass that was clumped up so the grass was easier to fish through. Well we decided to keep none since I was going to my in laws the next day and call it a day since the wind was picking up. We were hungry by 230 and Hutton's was calling our name, which we were disappointed to learn was closed for the 4th. So we got to try Posey's instead. All in all a great way to kill a day.

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Re: St Mark's 7/2: Just a quick trip to kill a day

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup: