St. Marks 7/3 - scallops and fish

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

St. Marks 7/3 - scallops and fish

Post by TOWM »

I took my boys scalloping for their first time. We found enough for dinner and left some for another day. We only had to make one stop to find them, near the big sandbar about ½ mile south. Then, we drifted for a while and fished one rod with pinfish under a cork and one rod bouncing jigs. We caught the largest ladyfish I have ever seen on one of the pinfish! I swear ...we thought it was a baby tarpon. We landed four short trout on the jigs. Two of the fish went for a pink Cocamo plastic swimbait, while the other trout took a rootbeer and yellow tail DOA CAL. The baits were 3 ½ inches on ⅛ oz. jig hooks in 8 feet of water. There was a decent sized shark circling the boat while drifting. I’m glad we didn’t see him before scalloping! We headed back to the dock in the rain at 12:30. Fortunately no lightning!
Red Beard

Re: St. Marks 7/3 - scallops and fish

Post by Red Beard »

TOWM wrote:I took my boys scalloping for their first time. We found enough for dinner and left some for another day. We only had to make one stop to find them, near the big sandbar about ½ mile south. Then, we drifted for a while and fished one rod with pinfish under a cork and one rod bouncing jigs. We caught the largest ladyfish I have ever seen on one of the pinfish! I swear ...we thought it was a baby tarpon. We landed four short trout on the jigs. Two of the fish went for a pink Cocamo plastic swimbait, while the other trout took a rootbeer and yellow tail DOA CAL. The baits were 3 ½ inches on ⅛ oz. jig hooks in 8 feet of water. There was a decent sized shark circling the boat while drifting. I’m glad we didn’t see him before scalloping! We headed back to the dock in the rain at 12:30. Fortunately no lightning!
Nice. I was out east of St.Marks and saw that storm roll in. Looked nasty..somehow I picked the right spot to fish, we watched storms on the left and right of us for the most part of the afternoon and never felt a drop until the boat was on the trailer.

Nice report, good dinner sounds like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Sounds like a great day. Thanks for posting.

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

The nasty storm was Wednesday on opening day. We got caught in it running in as it came up fast Glad it wasn’t my first time out there. Everyone put on life vests and we plowed our way in. Prompted us to take off when it got dark Friday, which turned out to be only a shower at the River mouth. Other than weather had a good time scalloping.
Be safe out there!