July 4th Weekend

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Srbenda

July 4th Weekend

Post by Srbenda »

Managed three days on the water this holiday weekend, despite the awful weather forecast and the expected crowds.

As expected the water temps were in the 85+ range, and the fish were scattered.

Friday, fished the inshore shallows with Fishin Chris on the Ketchup Packet, which is a speedy comfortable skiff. Waters towards Cobb remain heavily stained from the Aucilla, and we found a couple under-slot reds and trout, and managed to get caught in the mid-day monsoon getting back to the fort ramp. Despite keeping a careful eye, no hammy-slammies and bologna sightings occurred.

Saturday, we waited out the storms, watched the boat parade, where even the boatpix chopper made an appearance! We headed east again, and found much clearer water around Grey Mare. Found some trout in 7', and also found them in 5'. The sandbar was FILLED with boats, as to be expected, and the scalloping armada was out in force.

Sunday, we joined the scallop armada, and took some kids to find the shellfish. We ended up with less than limit, but still far more than I wanted to clean. Saw the FWC RIB boat out inspecting some boats, but they never headed our way. Found some trout for the kids in about 5', but the afternoon wind picked up to about 15+ and made it tough to drift.

Considering the weather, we were lucky to get on the water as much as we did, and we'll enjoy some scallops for dinner this evening.
All photos copyright @saverymill
Red Beard

Re: July 4th Weekend

Post by Red Beard »

Sweet shots. Great Report.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
procraftwes
Site Sponsor

Re: July 4th Weekend

Post by procraftwes »

Went out in the big boat and hung out up the wakulla. Glad I had a big cabin because it rained nonstop from 11-4.