Here Kitty Kitty

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Here Kitty Kitty

Post by Red Beard »

Shell Point Launch
0900-1500
Half Moon
2-15’ Water Depths
Grass Beds; Oyster Bars; Ledges
Incoming-Outgoing Tide

Launched this morning from Shell Point, was privileged to take a father and son out as a surprise for the the birthday boy. He was bored and anxious as we idled our way through the canal’s no wake zone. Once we cleared and the crew was made ready for sea, I opened the grey ghost up and we were off I could see the grins from the back of their heads.

We made our way out to 15’ and proceeded to be harassed by a determined wolf pack of lady fish. Packs of six or so all fighting for the hook. Kids enjoyed the constant action. With every lady fish the high low rig would double up on cats. Once the new wore off there we jumped to different depths and got to spoon feed a gag.

Monster if I may say, I have hands the size of mailboxes so you can clearly see what a lunker it was. Also caught another dozen catfish and a found a pod of spanish, got to watch a smoker hit the spoon, cut the leader, and swim under the boat before the dad knew what happened, would have loved to see him fight that fish.

At the next spot which I saved for once’s the kids where n’sync and warmed up. And after another dozen catfish finally heard the drag go..

And the birthday boy had the rod in hand and cranking down before I could try to help. Once I saw some flash I grabbed the net and we landed another catfish with a surprise mustard mouth.

His first trout and first time fishing in the boat. Everyone was pumped, measured almost 25”. Once he knew he had caught dinner, he never let us forget. I couldn’t help but laugh, “we introduced another future angler to the fold today”.

We caught our weight in hard heads today, but the day was filled with constant action and several species of fish. We were able to catch fish in a way so that everyone could take part. Not the normal take no prisoners artificial assault. Not many times does it all come together but today it did.

It’s always a rewarding experience to help facilitate others in fishing. I may help pick where we go and what lures/bait we use, they still have to focus and catch the fish. It’s days like this that I look forward to in the future Good Lord Willing.

FLOUNDER REPORT

Flounder are everywhere right now, but I’ve found the shorts hang with shorts and the doormats are kicking it with other doormats. I’m finding them on sand, grass, and even mud bottoms. Both incoming and out going tides have produced.

From what I’ve seen they are feeding on croaker in my neck of the creek. Water clarity is something I’ve tried to key in on; seems the other fish have too. I have found more success by wading versus in the skiff of late; more fun to wade in my book. Something so caveman about lurking through the dark water dodging rays, lizards, and sharks.

I sale all my flounder to Mineral Springs Seafood in Panacea, FL. All my fish go from sea to ice slush to the market within hours of harvest.

Sent from my iPhone ”I don’t claim to know or have known what I’m doing at any point”
Double Naught
Site Sponsor

Re: Here Kitty Kitty

Post by Double Naught »

Another nice report, RB, thanks.

The tail on that grouper is really rounded, could it be a baby goliath?
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Double Naught wrote:Another nice report, RB, thanks.

The tail on that grouper is really rounded, could it be a baby goliath?
You know I didn’t even stop to think of that. Could be...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Great report. Those boys had a special outing, especially the birthday boy. Maybe the next trip you can teach him about conservation and the long-term benefits of releasing a sow trout? Good job putting them on the action.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

silverking wrote:Great report. Those boys had a special outing, especially the birthday boy. Maybe the next trip you can teach him about conservation and the long-term benefits of releasing a sow trout? Good job putting them on the action.
Definitely. Wanted to release that trout, if it would have been me it would been. But your right and a great point for myself moving forward.

slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Great report and good job getting a young man fired up about fishing. Few things are as emotionally rewarding as working with children.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Nice report !

silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Red Beard wrote:Definitely. Wanted to release that trout, if it would have been me it would been. But your right and a great point for myself moving forward.Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:thumbup:

Tough proposition, especially on his first trout. But now you'll have a good lead in to releasing the big ones in the future. Maybe make a game out of it, how many different species can they catch, document and release?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Red Beard

Here Kitty Kitty

Post by Red Beard »

slow motion wrote:Great report and good job getting a young man fired up about fishing. Few things are as emotionally rewarding as working with children.
No doubt about it Mr. Dale.

Great idea silverking

FlyrodC

Post by FlyrodC »

Great report Red! Well done on giving those kids a great summer memory and putting him on a trout that is bigger than I've ever landed on a flyrod. 22" is about it for me so far.

Love the approach of longterm sustainability of the fishery and what a close to 25" trout means to that goal. This has been a fun thread to start Sunday morning with.