Crystal River help

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

driftboat

Crystal River help

Post by driftboat »

good afternon,
i am hoping to get some help , I would like to go to the
Crystal river and fish. I have a 1648 jon boat with a 25 hp.
Is this too small for the area. I enjoy inshore light tackle
and also looking for pet friendly lodging as we (my bride and I)
would be bringing our dogs. not looking for any secret spots but general info
about eats, tackle and lodging would be appreciated.
Thinking about October
Regards,
Driftboat
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Crystal River help

Post by silverking »

CR is a little south of this forum's normal coverage, but there are members who have fished that area including me. You have to be careful where you go as there are numerous rocks in places, but your boat will do fine with some careful navigation.

Read Capt. Dan Clymer's past reports. He is one of the top guides down there and shares intel in his reports. You're looking at trout, reds, flounder and snook that time of year. Here's Dan's site:
https://www.crystalriver-fishing.com

Another good source (and a good friend of Dan's) is Capt. William Toney. https://www.naturecoaster.com/author/captain-toney/

As far as pet-friendly lodging, you may check out MacRae's in Homosassa. Nothing fancy, but clean and right on the river south of CR. Not sure if the Plantation in CR allows pets or not. I've stayed in both and they are nice, comfortable and not too expensive. You might also do a VRBO search. Scallop season will be over by then and occupancy rates will be down. The Ice House in Homosassa is a good spot for a cold beverage and fresh seafood/oysters.

Good luck and let us know how your trip goes.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
driftboat

Post by driftboat »

Thanks for the info,
If we go I will post a report.We usually go to Steinhatchee but wanted to try
something a little different.We live in west of Atlanta and enjoy coming down
every two or three months.thanks again
regards
Driftboat
TheReelPapaSquat

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

I don't know anything about lodging in the area, but fished there last month. We had a great time fishing the channel markers and spoil islands. We got into cobra, flounder, grunts and BSB. Good luck!
wacissaguy

Post by wacissaguy »

There is also a Best Western right on US 19-The wife and I and our big golden retriever have been there many times.They have a ramp,docks you can tie to while you are there -two restaurants next door.Bar on premises,waterfront, pool, pretty good place.