East of St. Marks Lighthouse 9-27-2020

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

East of St. Marks Lighthouse 9-27-2020

Post by fishinfool »

My buddy and I launched from the lighthouse Sunday morning in his boat around 07:00. We headed east hoping to find some fish chewing around the creek mouths and follow the incoming tide into the creeks.
After a quick hookup from a large sailcat on my topwater my buddy boated a lower slot red. On our way to spot "B" we noticed high mullet activity in a relatively small area and decided to investigate. Well after at least ten redfish the "activity" slowed and we went to spot "C". That spot produced five or six reds and spot "D" another one.
All in all we caught about 16 reds and surprisingly no trout.
We made the wise decision at 11:30 to get back to the ramp and we were just ahead of the heavy rain and the end of the incoming tide .
The fall bite is rapidly heating up as the water temps are cooling off. Water clarity was pretty good at three feet. Stained but not cloudy. Temps were 75 to 78.
Another successful and entertaining day was had.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: East of St. Marks Lighthouse 9-27-2020

Post by silverking »

Successful morning. Thanks for the report, Jim. How was the floating grass situation?
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Wow, 16 redfish is a big clue that fishing is heating up. Thanks for the report and keep em coming.
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

The floating grass was not a big issue. I would call it moderate to light. I was still able to work a topwater without picking up grass on every cast. I changed to a spoon because that is what my buddy was catching them on, and I was not getting the hits on top.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Water color seems a lot clearer than Econfina based on your report. I couldn't see the bottom in 2' down there.