SPANISH MACKS

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Re: SPANISH MACKS

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Yes Juan that is what I use them for. Great snapper bait too. :smt006
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

I’m not sure how to ask this without seeming like the guy that tried to trap you on the internet. But I assure you that isn’t the case,,,, I’m just hoping to understand the rules as I’m relatively new ( 10 years) to offshore fishing. Is it legal to use Spanish as bait? If so, can you carry more than a legal limit for bait? I know all fish must be in whole condition. So, if “the man” sees a few Mack chunks mixed in w your fish at the end of the day, can you get a ticket? Thanks for any clarification :beer:
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

The rules change almost every day it seems so I'm only 99% sure they're legal bait as long as they meet the length requirements and you don't have more than the legal limit onboard. Billfish love em. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Juan wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:30 pm Billfish love em. :-D
This!
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Blue marlin will also eat bonefish and baby porpoise! :lick:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
aspicer

Post by aspicer »

We got into a school of them yesterday on the east side of dog island. They were 30 yards or so off the beach. We could have limited out, but lost too much tackle. ;)
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Juan wrote: March 14th, 2021, 12:30 pm The rules change almost every day it seems so I'm only 99% sure they're legal bait as long as they meet the length requirements and you don't have more than the legal limit onboard. Billfish love em. :-D
Does that mean they have to be whole? If they are chunked up, they could be short???? Again, just trying to understand the law
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

I believe that any gulf reef fish cannot be used as bait. However other regulated species can but must be kept in whole, within regulated slot sizes, and count against your daily bag/boat limit.

I think this varies per species. For example, I've heard of people using trout stomachs as bait, but keeping the trout whole in the cooler. Legal? Idk.

Part 622 (e) for gulf Reef fish

Fl rule chapter 68B-23 for Spanish mackerel

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

FishWithChris wrote: March 15th, 2021, 10:39 am I believe that any gulf reef fish cannot be used as bait. However other regulated species can but must be kept in whole, within regulated slot sizes, and count against your daily bag/boat limit.

I think this varies per species. For example, I've heard of people using trout stomachs as bait, but keeping the trout whole in the cooler. Legal? Idk.

Part 622 (e) for gulf Reef fish

Fl rule chapter 68B-23 for Spanish mackerel

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Thanks Chris, I guess the answer is to just freeze them whole and chunk them on the spot....
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

I just filet them and freeze. Cut them in strips for Grouper and Snapper. A Spanish mackerel is not a REEF fish. :-D :-D
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Tide-Dancer wrote: March 15th, 2021, 7:44 pm I just filet them and freeze. Cut them in strips for Grouper and Snapper. A Spanish mackerel is not a REEF fish. :-D :-D
Not trying to be a smart azz, but I think the man can give you a ticket for fillets on board. If not, then fillet and release would be on the table. I’m pretty sure a boat has to have a freezer to have fillets on board
PhishingNole

Post by PhishingNole »

Resurrecting this thread for a little input.

I've always tossed Spanish Macks back until reading this thread convinced me to keep the next one I caught.

We had a rough day this weekend fishing and caught one good keeper fish, a Spanish Mackerel.

Brought it home, filleted per instructions above making sure to remove the blood line. I also removed the skin.

Blackened, pan seared in Avacado oil, sprinkled a little lime and served.

To a person in my house of picky eaters, everyone unequivocally declared it was the best inshore fish they'd eaten. They all strongly preferred it to redfish, trout, and flounder. So much so, they want to go target them this weekend for tacos.

With that being said, what's a good starting strategy in St. Marks to target these guys?

Specifically, what depth range do they prefer and what is the preferred bait to use? I caught this one on a popping cork and vudu shrimp, was that a fluke or will it work consistently? I ask because popping rigs are easier for kids.

Should I plan to chum?

Should I plan on using a different leader? The one I caught tore up my 15lb fleuro pretty bad. Did I get lucky that he didn't break it off?

Thanks for your time and input.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

edif

Post by edif »

I always use piano wire leader and the smallest swivel to tie line to leader cause they will hit the swivel also. Spoons and small minnow plugs as well as the mack trees work well...I skin em like a catfish fillet and then remove the blood and bone line wa-la Great table fare.
STMU

Post by STMU »

PhishingNole wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:57 am Specifically, what depth range do they prefer and what is the preferred bait to use? I caught this one on a popping cork and vudu shrimp, was that a fluke or will it work consistently? I ask because popping rigs are easier for kids. If I'm targeting Macks I usually go deeper, but that is because I don't want to mess with trout. However, I caught them pretty far inshore and around bars sometimes when fishing for reds...so they can be scattered. But again...if I'm targeting them I go deeper. Popping cork isn't my go too, but hey...if it worked.

Should I plan to chum? Depends on how you want to fish. I often drift and/or troll around which doesn't work with chum. But I've also anchored in productive areas and chummed and done well. Don't usually chum as it's expensive if you do it a lot. I used to live in south Fl where I could make my own chum with Bonita and that was deadly for macks, but up here that's a bit more work than I want to put in for macks.

Should I plan on using a different leader? The one I caught tore up my 15lb fleuro pretty bad. Did I get lucky that he didn't break it off? Yeah, you got lucky. I use 40lb fluoro. It will fray after a couple of hook-ups on the last few inches, so I tie a really long leader and just retie the terminal lure. Sometimes you can catch half a dozen before a retie if you're lucky, but usually it's every couple. I still lose a few on occasion, but's it not common. Wire IMO is not productive. I don't care how thin it is, my hook-ups are never great for Spanish. Connecting it is also a challenge and I don't like using swivals. I've tried pre-rigging lures at home with 2 inches of wire and tying that to my leader, but that took a lot of work and I don't think it helped me.
eightwt

Post by eightwt »

Its fun to catch them on the fly, but tough on the fly's and get bit off a lot. Knotable wire works well for the latter, but its spendy.