SPANISH MACKS

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Re: SPANISH MACKS

Post by Salty Gator »

STMU wrote: May 19th, 2021, 1:42 pm
PhishingNole wrote: May 19th, 2021, 10:57 am Specifically, what depth range do they prefer and what is the preferred bait to use? I caught this one on a popping cork and vudu shrimp, was that a fluke or will it work consistently? I ask because popping rigs are easier for kids. If I'm targeting Macks I usually go deeper, but that is because I don't want to mess with trout. However, I caught them pretty far inshore and around bars sometimes when fishing for reds...so they can be scattered. But again...if I'm targeting them I go deeper. Popping cork isn't my go too, but hey...if it worked.

Should I plan to chum? Depends on how you want to fish. I often drift and/or troll around which doesn't work with chum. But I've also anchored in productive areas and chummed and done well. Don't usually chum as it's expensive if you do it a lot. I used to live in south Fl where I could make my own chum with Bonita and that was deadly for macks, but up here that's a bit more work than I want to put in for macks.

Should I plan on using a different leader? The one I caught tore up my 15lb fleuro pretty bad. Did I get lucky that he didn't break it off? Yeah, you got lucky. I use 40lb fluoro. It will fray after a couple of hook-ups on the last few inches, so I tie a really long leader and just retie the terminal lure. Sometimes you can catch half a dozen before a retie if you're lucky, but usually it's every couple. I still lose a few on occasion, but's it not common. Wire IMO is not productive. I don't care how thin it is, my hook-ups are never great for Spanish. Connecting it is also a challenge and I don't like using swivals. I've tried pre-rigging lures at home with 2 inches of wire and tying that to my leader, but that took a lot of work and I don't think it helped me.
Spot in advice

I’ll only add that my favorite palace to fish for them is Dog island reef
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven