SPANISH MACKS

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

SPANISH MACKS

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Anyone seen any Spanish macks this year? Winson said on the Panhandle Outdoor show that they are being caught in the PC area. So I am going to try the Dog Island reef area tomorrow (Friday the 12th). :D

Well I went out to the east side of Dog Island to fish the rising tide. Caught one. Very slow morning. Then I went to the East Pass and things got a little better. Caught 10, all small but well over 12" to the fork. They make excellent snapper ans grouper bait because the skin so tough. Cleaned them and into the freezer they went. Going back out today to see if I can catch some more. :-D :-D :-D

Day 2 of Spanish Macks: Got on the water about 11:00 AM. Went out to the East Pass of Dog Island. In 90 minutes I had 18 Spanish Macks. They were small but well over 12" to the fork. Released the last 3 and called it a day. I use these Macks for Grouper and Snapper bait. They have tough skin and stay on the hook. For those interested here is the rig I was using. 4oz. trolling weight, 25 foot 20# leader and a 00 Clark's spoon.
Last edited by Tide-Dancer on March 14th, 2021, 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
leonreno

Re: SPANISH MACKS

Post by leonreno »

Seems there was a report here or somewhere I read that someone caught one out of St. Mark’s last week.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

The reports I've seen from PC say they're here and a lot of them...just small. Grouper bait :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
geofish

Post by geofish »

I thought they really show up same time as the love bugs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Caught a nice one yesterday. Seemed to be lonely though.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

What do you guys do with them? They bleed and make the boat a mess. Taste ok the day they’re caught but I haven’t had luck eating them later. I have smoked a few and made decent fish dip. Do you target them just because the pull drag or are you wanting them for the table?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

SHOWBOAT wrote:What do you guys do with them? They bleed and make the boat a mess. Taste ok the day they’re caught but I haven’t had luck eating them later. I have smoked a few and made decent fish dip. Do you target them just because the pull drag or are you wanting them for the table?
Spanish Mack make for some great sushi in my book. Always good for the smoker too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geofish

Post by geofish »

Fresh ones are good for fish tacos. Not so good from the freezer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

I've been told they are good fresh sauteed in seasoning and butter in a pan. May try it this year
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
milto
Site Sponsor

Post by milto »

My wife loves for be to bring them home for ceviche. But like everyone else has said, has to be fresh not frozen.
leonreno

Post by leonreno »

I like them smoked and smoked fish dip, baked in butter/olive oil, grilled (use Italian dressing as a marinade) and pan sautéed in butter and olive oil.
luckywsp

Post by luckywsp »

I second Milto’s answer. They make killer ceviche. If you haven’t tried it you are missing out.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I like them grilled with lime juice and old bay if they're fresh.
MudDucker
Site Sponsor

Post by MudDucker »

Gut them as soon as possible. Filet and cut out the dark line. Grill skin side down with butter, lemon and garlic. Sprinkle cheese if you care too.

Secret is gutting quick and getting rid of the black line before freezing.
Its a wonderful day in the neighborhood!
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Put enough seasoning on shoe leather and it's edible. :lick: Like I said: grouper bait. :-D
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/