Mini vacation at Keaton with my wife and some friends 19th-21st.

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Had been watching the weather for a while. It looked bad earlier in the week but Thursday night it said 2-3’ all weekend. Image
Since we had reservations we decided to go. We got up Friday morning and headed down. All the way down no flags were moving and we stopped at Wilson’s and got some ice and stuff. The closer we got to Keaton a little more wind but at the landing it was not bad so off we go. It was a lot cooler than we thought it would be luckily we brought extra clothes. Image
We ran north a little past the first bird rack and started fishing. Water temp was 65. Image
The wind was whipping but with the sunshine it was not bad at all. My beautiful wife caught the first keeper of course. Image
We fished there for a while and the conditions got better so we ran further north and stayed there the rest of the time. Water got up to 67 and we mostly fished in 5’. Image
My wife and I wound up with a limit of trout(1 caught after picture) a bonus Spanish and a 17” flounder. Anything with pink was the color of the day. My wife also caught the last keeper of the day. Image
After that fish we eased over to our friends boat to see if they were ready to head in. They did almost as well and since they wanted to try to make it to Wilson’s before they closed we headed in about 3:30. Image
We got the fish cleaned while the girls got baths and then we got ready to head to Perry for dinner. We barely made it to Wilson’s before they closed. After eating we went back to the room. I got a cup of coffee and we all relaxed on the deck before turning in for the evening. Image
Saturday morning there was more wind and no sun to warm us. So we dressed up like the michelin man and headed out. It was brrrr. Image
We bit the bullet and ran all the way to where we ended up Friday and started fishing. The water temp was down to 61-62 but the fish still bit. However the wind was brutal. My wife and I managed our limit of trout. Image
Again my wife caught the last one after this count check picture was taken lol. Our friends caught fewer trout today. Of course the sun finally came out when we decided to head in. After getting all ready we headed out to dinner in Steinhatchee Saturday. Image
Went to Kathy’s Crab Image shack. The food was excellent. Best shrimp I’ve had in a while. After that we went back to Keaton and walked on the pier. Image
Despite the weather I had such a great weekend with my beautiful wife and great friends. Can’t wait to do it again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
silverking
Site Sponsor

Re: Mini vacation at Keaton with my wife and some friends 19th-21st.

Post by silverking »

Good report. Glad y'all had a fun time. Even with the wind, it sure beats packing. :lol:
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

silverking wrote:Good report. Glad y'all had a fun time. Even with the wind, it sure beats packing. :lol:
Packing? You moving? I hate packing. Was great to get away and catch fish.

ddb

Post by ddb »

Nice report. Sounds like a great weekend. Plastics with or without popping cork? How was the ramp zoo?
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

ddb wrote: March 21st, 2021, 8:17 pm Nice report. Sounds like a great weekend. Plastics with or without popping cork? How was the ramp zoo?
. We had fun. Was too windy to fish without cork. Tried but no luck. Smackshad under cork was best, also live and cut pinfish. The ramp was not bad but I think that was conditions.
silverking
Site Sponsor

Post by silverking »

Hit-n-Miss wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:00 pm Packing? You moving? I hate packing. Was great to get away and catch fish.
Yes, bought our retirement home near Pensacola. Moving this week. Boat barn, close to the bay and sound, clear water. I'm really looking forward to it. The packing is over and but the unpacking is about to begin.
"Sun rise and sun sets. Since the beginning, it hasn't changed yet." Little Feat
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

That sounds nice. Enjoy your new place.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Did y'all just rent a house in keaton?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 10:12 am Did y'all just rent a house in keaton?

Rented cabin by ramp. Like it. Clean and nice set up.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Good deal, I may look into that next time, can you leave the boat in or did it not have a dock?

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 12:23 pm Good deal, I may look into that next time, can you leave the boat in or did it not have a dock?

Has a dock that could accommodate 4 boats easily save for the 50' boat that is there year round. But two can still dock or 3 if 2 on end docked side by side. Since not scallop season we just pulled in and out each day. Was place to park truck and trailer. Has real nice fish cleaning station and deck.Image
View from deck shows one boat docked in front of the big boat. Other leg of L shaped dock in front of the cleaning station.
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow! Great trip, always good to go fish with friends and hang out

Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report Greg, looks like a fun trip.
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D Yessir :-D
kenfly wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 7:32 am Wow! Great trip, always good to go fish with friends and hang out

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D We had a blast. Next time be even better. :-D
Salty Gator wrote: March 23rd, 2021, 8:51 am Thanks for the report Greg, looks like a fun trip.