St. Marks, 3/27

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

TOWM

St. Marks, 3/27

Post by TOWM »

I took the family and friends out for a fish & swim. When we put in at Shields the fog was thicker than forecast, but we were confident it would burn off before 11:00. By the time we got to buoy 9 visibility was only 200 yards. We decided to troll for mackerel and lady fish. From buoy 9 all the way out to buoy 2...not a single bite.
By the time we reached buoy 2 visibility was improved. This was around 11:00. We decided to head to the east flats and drift live shrimp under corks. We did catch trout, but every one was less than 15". We caught fish in 5-7'. I also caught some pinfish. I cast these under a cork hoping to catch bigger trout. Well, something with teeth kept hitting the pinfish and cutting me off. I was in the process of attaching wire leader when one of our friends announced she had to get home.
As soon as we returned to the dock the fog lifted and the sun came out, the winds started gusting, and an armada of boats were heading out. All in all it was a great day. The water was almost flat. There was hardly any wind. It was warm, but not hot. The water temperature was 68-69. The kids did some swimming and had fun. We are already looking forward to next weekend.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: St. Marks, 3/27

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Sounds like a fun time. Thanks for posting up a report.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Sounds like you found some rabbits. Teeth are strong enough to punch clean through an aluminum can. Fog has been intense for sure. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Red Beard wrote: March 28th, 2021, 5:52 pm Sounds like you found some rabbits. Teeth are strong enough to punch clean through an aluminum can. Fog has been intense for sure. Thanks for sharing.
Spanish rabbits? We caught several Spanish Macks and had several leaders cut clean off. It was a beautiful day once the fog burned off around 12:30