Windy day at Keaton. 5/15/21

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Hit-n-Miss

Windy day at Keaton. 5/15/21

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Finally got a chance to go with every weekend I could go the weather being bad. My friend and I got there at sunrise and headed north. Water temp 68-70 all day. First or second cast something large broke me off before we got to see what it was. Was nice at first but rough as a cobb the rest of the time. Today I saw the worst fishing etiquette. More people ran through our drift than ever before. I know some people don’t know but dang! But it was still a great day on the water and we only got one smooth puffer. Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Windy day at Keaton. 5/15/21

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

I don't know....is that worth the trade of encountering only one baitwreckasuarus

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

doomtrpr_z71 wrote:I don't know....is that worth the trade of encountering only one baitwreckasuarus

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
Lol. I was surprised to only have to deal with one.

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

It was a windy rough day out there and your right about people etiquette out there its horrible. We ended up with 6 trout and two reds
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

mpa_72001 wrote: May 18th, 2021, 2:04 pm It was a windy rough day out there and your right about people etiquette out there its horrible. We ended up with 6 trout and two reds
Glad you got some. Someone needs to find Mr Pat's old article about flats etiquette and make it a sticky on here.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Congratulations on your good time and good groceries.thanks for sharing

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Please advise what constitutes running through someone’s drift? I assume it means crossing the path of the drifting boat downwind to where the boat will drift, but how close? Does it depend upon the wind speed? Please note I keep a good distance from other boats when I run, but want to be clear on proper etiquette. Thanks.

Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Mckayaker wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:36 am Please advise what constitutes running through someone’s drift? I assume it means crossing the path of the drifting boat downwind to where the boat will drift, but how close? Does it depend upon the wind speed? Please note I keep a good distance from other boats when I run, but want to be clear on proper etiquette. Thanks.

You are correct the downwind side of a boat that is drift fishing. If you run the downwind side closer than a long cast, you are too close. As Pat Mcgriff used to say, if I can hit your boat casting a 6oz weight you are too close. 😁
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

So if I’m three times farther than scallop radius I’m good to run.

ddb

Post by ddb »

Just run on the upwind side. 90% of the folks are casting w the wind. It’s an easy adjustment in your route.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Mckayaker wrote: May 24th, 2021, 10:34 pm So if I’m three times farther than scallop radius I’m good to run.

:-D Wish I could cast 300 yards. Yeah that would be plenty, or as DDB said go upwind. :-D
Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Keep my distance. Stay downwind. And that will keep me from feeling a 6 oz weight on my temple. I think I’ve got it.

Mckayaker

Post by Mckayaker »

Sorry. Stay upwind. Or I will feel that 6 ouncer.

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Get close enough you'll see a topwater plug pretty close .I hit a bimini top in a boat from bama one year cut right in front of us with a trolling motor .its always fun to do a circle around em too.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

Circling a boat from bama could get you closer to something a lot harder, louder and faster than a top water plug. :smt005
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/