Flats Are On Fire

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Flats Are On Fire

Post by Red Beard »

Been putting a good bit of time on the water, almost daily. Picking my moments of attack and tactically withdrawing from bully winds with outgoing tides. Water temp is in the 80’s and the grass beds are looking good and full. There is a good bit of manatee/turtle grass floating around, but with a proper presentation snagged grass can be reduced.

Bait is everywhere! Take your pick it’s here.

The reds are everywhere you would expect; back of tide creeks and almost every oyster knot I’ve came across has produced plenty of fish. Slots to tatted up juveniles with a bad attitude.

Trout are following suit and have found them on the grass beds in 2’-10’ of water. Finding good size trout lurking about has not been an issue.

Flounder are looking good compared to this time last year. I have seen a lot of shorts while gigging, taken that as a promising sign for the future. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen so many shorts in the past years..

Tight lines and tighter knots!
Capt. Red Beard

Been taking folks out and have let them do the fishing, if these new anglers can get the job done I know you BBF pros will have no issues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheReelPapaSquat

Re: Flats Are On Fire

Post by TheReelPapaSquat »

Great report and pix RB. Lots of good info. Thanks for sharing. Unfortunately we both know that grass is only gonna get thicker floating thru the rest of the summer. Tight lines.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Great report my friend. Looks like the new boat is getting some good use.
FishWithChris

Post by FishWithChris »

Oh man love those jump seats! Max comfort there.

And you're right, fishing is just silly right now. How are you rigging your lights on the new Yeet3?

sent from the Ketchup Packet

Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn. ~Chuck Clark

Image Image Image
Red Beard

Flats Are On Fire

Post by Red Beard »

FishWithChris wrote:Oh man love those jump seats! Max comfort there.

And you're right, fishing is just silly right now. How are you rigging your lights on the new Yeet3?

sent from the Ketchup Packet
Have some custom C clamps on the front lip. Need to get a rubber gasket in place so my wife will quit asking where all her washcloths have went. Using them to keep the clamps from biting into the new boat.

Slow-motion: you know it my friend! It’s about all I think about.

Papa Squat- no doubt about that. I welcome it though, can’t get scallops without that grass. Just thankful we are blessed with healthy grass that returns every year.

squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

The fishing report has fired up my enthusiasm, I'm now planning on Thursday and maybe Friday.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

squiffynole wrote:The fishing report has fired up my enthusiasm, I'm now planning on Thursday and maybe Friday.

Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

We didn't exactly find them on fire, but we did bring home supper on Friday 18th. Tried the cove and creeks off the east flats and iced down 3 nice trout. One was over 24". Fished with top water, jigs under corks and threw the spoon. We even bought a few live shrimp as an insurance plan. Caught our keepers on shrimp and jigs. Caught some trash fish, even had a double on giant cat fish. Fun, but who cares. Had a fellow angler show us how to catch a red with a Skitter walk over an oyster bed we were fishing from the other side. We will have Skitter walks in our box next trip. The water was really clear, about 80 degrees with some grass floating to add to the challenge of top water fishing, but the conditions were good. Another great day out of the light house landing and we made it home safe. God is good.
Red Beard

Flats Are On Fire

Post by Red Beard »

Chum on! Nothing wrong with some fresh groceries!
I’ve found the early morning bite to be the most productive of late.

Cap’m Wafer

Post by Cap’m Wafer »

New to forum. Fished E end of shoal Thursday afternoon. 19" Trout and some shorts in about an hour. Left all my good reels (spinning) in other boat. I spent a lot of time picking at birds nests on bait casters in the wind.
Cap’m Wafer

Post by Cap’m Wafer »

Should have said I was out of Shell Point.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Cap’m Wafer wrote:New to forum. Fished E end of shoal Thursday afternoon. 19" Trout and some shorts in about an hour. Left all my good reels (spinning) in other boat. I spent a lot of time picking at birds nests on bait casters in the wind.
Welcome to the forum.

Still good fishing to be had, I haven’t had any trouble catching limits on reds, flounder, or trout.

Good luck out there..

Capt. Red Beard