Fishing thru floating grass

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

geofish

Post by geofish »

Tried to fish the flats East of the lighthouse this morning, but a stiff breeze and tons of floating grass made it tough. Only caught a few shorts. What are y'all's strategies for fishing when clumps & lines of floating grass are everywhere?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

rockyg

Re: Fishing thru floating grass

Post by rockyg »

I usually fish really early, then blame the scallopers for the floating grass, then mope around complaining about the heat, then whine about how I wish it was Fall already. lol
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
geofish

Post by geofish »

Tried that . . .

SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Several options:
Throw top water and although frustrating look for a hit in you first couple twitches…then keep splashing with grass attached. Don’t think it won’t still get hit.
Throw weedless jerk bait.
Head to a creek or a flat protected from the wind where grass can’t form lines
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
geofish

Post by geofish »

Thanks. Soft swimbait on a weedless worm hook seemed to work best getting thru the weeds, but I didn't get a bite on it

mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Popping cork with soft plastics and like they said weedless rigged plastics too.
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

I’ve found top water is a waste of time. And anything besides a weed less set up using a straight line retrieve is going to cause grass to catch on your line and slide down to you lure.

Using a sinking jerk bait that requires a fast twitching retrieve works to get under the grass lines and the popping action helps break free the grass on the line.

You can also switch out to single hooks instead of treble hooks to help snag less grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk