Redfish live bait

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Bjpfla

Redfish live bait

Post by Bjpfla »

I’ve only used lures for so long that I’ve forgotten how to use live bait! What is everyone using to target redfish? A long time ago a bait store recommended mud minnows, I didn’t have any luck. Shrimp just seems to get a lout of trout/cats/bait fish for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Red Beard

Re: Redfish live bait

Post by Red Beard »

Bjpfla wrote:I’ve only used lures for so long that I’ve forgotten how to use live bait! What is everyone using to target redfish? A long time ago a bait store recommended mud minnows, I didn’t have any luck. Shrimp just seems to get a lout of trout/cats/bait fish for me.

The problem with shrimp is everything loves to eat shrimp. It’s the potato chip of the sea. Shrimp have their moments were they shine, but right now with the water temps dropping my shrimp have gotten ignored by reds and I believe they are looking for a meal not a snack. I’ve switched over to smaller croakers, finger mullet, bigger mud minnows and 3-4” pins with great success.

Bust out the cast net and sabiki. Good luck.

Bjpfla

Post by Bjpfla »

You’ve perfectly described that, potato chip of the sea, just a snack! Thanks for the info, my afternoon project will be figuring out a bait storage situation on my kayak.

Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

Sounds like the ol mirrodine will be working
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
cotton

Redfish live bait

Post by cotton »

Fiddlers this time of year work great. You’ll still need to weed thru a lot of trash. But, you’ll get a bonus every now and then.
Tide-Dancer
Site Sponsor

Post by Tide-Dancer »

Red Beard wrote: September 26th, 2021, 9:28 am
Bjpfla wrote:I’ve only used lures for so long that I’ve forgotten how to use live bait! What is everyone using to target redfish? A long time ago a bait store recommended mud minnows, I didn’t have any luck. Shrimp just seems to get a lout of trout/cats/bait fish for me.

The problem with shrimp is everything loves to eat shrimp. It’s the potato chip of the sea. Shrimp have their moments were they shine, but right now with the water temps dropping my shrimp have gotten ignored by reds and I believe they are looking for a meal not a snack. I’ve switched over to smaller croakers, finger mullet, bigger mud minnows and 3-4” pins with great success.

Bust out the cast net and sabiki. Good luck.

Great Reply to live bait for redfish. Bust out the cast net and Sabik. Bigger bait Bigger fish, Grasshopper.