Pumpkin Season

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Pumpkin Season

Post by Red Beard »

Well it’s October and the water clarity in Wakulla hasn’t improved much if at all over the past couple months. Water is dark and stirred up with floating grass still lurking around. The grass has me constantly looking back at the Yamaha to make sure it’s not getting clogged up. I have found the darker water makes fish less spooky and makes color selections easier. Have noted lady fish and trout look almost gold because of the tannin in the water.

We had that nice cool front show up mixed with that northern wind made it feel like fall, even though it didn’t last but a day. What I did pick up on was how fast the water temps dropped. Couple days before the temps were in the 80’s and two days later they were in the mid-high 70’s. It won’t be long now until our fall pattern is in full swing with fish trying to either move out to deeper water or find there way into the creeks/bays.

Fishing wise I have found flounder and trout in the flats around the 4-6’ range; heard reports of trout being found out to 10’. Caught flounder (though not in huge abundance) and trout on live bait, jerk-baits, and jigs rigged with soft plastics.

Redfish.. well what is there to say.. other than the redfish bite has been hot. Not uncommon to score several slot pumpkins on all sides of the same patch. They seem to be really dialing in on baitfish and trying to fatten up for the transitions coming. Structure wise look for grass lines having water in them and covered oysters bars; I’ve tried working areas on low and high tide and have found the best results to be somewhere in the middle of the incoming/outgoing tides. Caught them on everything lately; live bait, jigs, spinners, spoons, jerk-baits, and topwater plugs.

Mullet! They are getting fat and starting to show some size. I look forward to the mullet run every year and enjoying a good fried or smoked mullet with plenty of fat. Just taste better it seems when they are fat and happy.

Personally I’m really looking forward to this fall season. It’s shaping up to be a good one. (I say that every year about every upcoming season) I’m looking forward to the pivot in fishing locations and tactics. Ready for the cooler water to bring in flocks of sheepshead, fat trout, and bull reds. I also enjoy the lower negative tides that make laying GPS tracks fun for the following year.

(EDIT)
Wanted to add flounder season is about to come to a close for a little bit.

Get out and enjoy the water on any day you have time, fishing can still be good even with dark water, floating grass, and a chop on the water. Be safe and enjoy your day. Tight lines and sharp hooks!

Captain RedBeard
Fysh Hunter Charters

Last edited by Red Beard on October 5th, 2021, 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan
Site Sponsor

Re: Pumpkin Season

Post by Juan »

Great write up and awesome pics! :thumbup:
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

:thumbup: :thumbup:
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Red Beard wrote: October 5th, 2021, 2:30 pmTight lines and sharp hooks!
Same to you sir!
Rhodes

Post by Rhodes »

Thanks for the report RedBeard. We are heading down to Panacea tomorrow to fish the weekend. I see where y'all are getting lots of rain today so I guess there will be a lot of fresh water pouring into the bays. Looks like the tides will be ripping also.
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Thanks for the report. Awesome pics as well.
Red Beard

Pumpkin Season

Post by Red Beard »

Rhodes wrote:Thanks for the report RedBeard. We are heading down to Panacea tomorrow to fish the weekend. I see where y'all are getting lots of rain today so I guess there will be a lot of fresh water pouring into the bays. Looks like the tides will be ripping also.
You got that right.. tide ripped out and back in this morning fast. Fishing was good found plenty of redfish for my clients. Large grass mats are everywhere and water looks like beef broth but a good time could be had.

Slow motion.. thanks brotha. Not sure if anything I share helps anyone, but my intent is to try to help. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Red Beard on October 7th, 2021, 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
squiffynole

Post by squiffynole »

The photos are spectacular! Thank you, I enjoy the fishing reports.