St. Marks 12/11--12/12

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BeeeReady

St. Marks 12/11--12/12

Post by BeeeReady »

Fished various creeks from The lighthouse to the Econfina. The trout and red bite both days was superb. I used mainly Yozuri and Mirrolures, and with such a great bite, was able to experiment with color variants. The same baits in different colors produced (or did not) incredibly different results. My favorite color is still my favorite color. Whether it's confidence, or whatever, I can't say, but in my opinion even a subtle difference in color makes for a huge difference in success. Total count was probably 50+ trout of various sizes (alot of big ones), and probably 30 reds of various sizes. I lost two trout to a shark, but all my fish were released healthy and perhaps a bit wiser. Water quality was an A, Wind a C, water temp was a crazy 67-68 dgrees almost everywhere, and lots of healthy grass still around. I didn't see many baits moving around, maybe that's why my lures looked so enticing. Experiment and find out what works best for you. I hope you find out as much about yourself and your favorite ways to fish as I always do.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
leonreno

Re: St. Marks 12/11--12/12

Post by leonreno »

Thanks for the report, seems like a good trip. So, the big question, what’s your favorite top secret color? :-D
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Nice report. We are having an unusually warm and dry early winter.

You must have local knowledge and a very shallow draft boat to have fished that area this weekend.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Great report! Was supposed to make it out last weekend but didn’t work out, have been really curious what the water temp were with all this crazy weather

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

leonreno wrote: December 13th, 2021, 12:20 pm Thanks for the report, seems like a good trip. So, the big question, what’s your favorite top secret color? :-D
The favorite color for me....17MRBG-706sBG. Good luck to you.
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

rockyg wrote: December 13th, 2021, 12:51 pm Nice report. We are having an unusually warm and dry early winter.

You must have local knowledge and a very shallow draft boat to have fished that area this weekend.
The backcountry does pretty good and I sure dont speed to many places thats for sure. the south wind on low tide helped tremendously on Saturday.
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

I am a big fan of the "Broken Glass" series of Mirrodine lures. For me they seem to produce better.
doomtrpr_z71

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

BeeeReady wrote:
leonreno wrote: December 13th, 2021, 12:20 pm Thanks for the report, seems like a good trip. So, the big question, what’s your favorite top secret color? :-D
The favorite color for me....17MRBG-706sBG. Good luck to you.
A favorite of mine as well

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Ted in Tallahassee

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I think I tend to suffer from NOT trying different lures/colors/spots as much as I should. I have a favorite “old reliable” setup that has worked fairly consistently well for everything in the past and because of that I stick to that as my “go to.” I might throw that 100 times with catching maybe one catfish, and if I put something else on to try, I might throw it 5 times before I start questioning it’s effectiveness and I don’t make it to 10 before I have concluded that it’s completely worthless and that I’m better off going back to “old reliable.” OK I may be exaggerating a little, but only a little. Same with favorite “go to” spots. Man I really need to force myself to try all sorts of different lures & colors & areas. I’ve been in a rut lately.