Dumb question-how to fish a gold spoon?

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Ted in Tallahassee

Dumb question-how to fish a gold spoon?

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

People are always saying a gold spoon is a great way to search for redfish around bars and at grass lines. What brand/size/ounce gold spoon is good, and how should it be fished? For example, a slow steady bouncing-off-the-bottom retrieve? A fast steady retrieve? A stop-and-start retrieve where it flutters down towards the bottom now and then? A slow jigging type of motion? Thanks in advance for tips.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Re: Dumb question-how to fish a gold spoon?

Post by SHOWBOAT »

They all work. So do chatter baits. I like the larger AquaDreams. As slow as you can reel and not get snagged. If spinning instead of rocking you’re too fast.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
Leoparddog

Post by Leoparddog »

The larger Aquadreams have a split ring. I'd suggest adding a small swivel to it. But yes, you fish these slower than you would think. A Johnson silver minnow also works. For bass I would often add a small curly tail to the spoon to limit line twist but I don't know what the redfish or trout would think about that.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

I have always used Johnson. We used to tie red thread on the treble hook - not a lot, just enough to give it color and to drag through the water. I do like Aquadream, especially when a slower presentation is used. Just easier to keep it off the bottom. Vary the retrieves until you get a pattern. When fishing with three of us in the boat, we usually go Spoon, jig and top/subsurface lure and whatever pattern emerges we go with it.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?