Christmas Time is here…

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Red Beard

Christmas Time is here…

Post by Red Beard »

Well Christmas and the end of the year sure did get here fast! Seems it wasn’t long ago I was complaining about the late summer heat and now I complain about the never ending grey haze and lack of sunshine. But there is still “glass half full” outlook… the fish are still biting.

Mullet have filled most creeks and bays with the valuable roe and fat that make them some prime table fare. Nothing eats like some fresh mullet this time of year!

Anyone else eating mullet for breakfast? Love them with some eggs.

With water temperature fluctuations from the 50’s up to 70 back in some creeks; it’s been a rotation of creek mouths, deeper pockets, up the creek, to even fishing on some of the flats. The hardest obstacle to overcome is a north wind mixed with a low tide that can keep you from getting to the fish.

Trout have been stacked up like firewood when you find them; have had great luck on jerk-baits, paddle tail jigs, gulps, popping corks, and live bait. I will say lately artificial has out fished the live bait almost 4:1. With the average school of trout to be around the 16” mark, doesn’t take long to have a limit. Some days they like the fast action others they want a slower retrieve staying close to the bottom.

Redfish are following suit with a good bit being caught mixed in with some trout and hanging in the same general locations. Spoons, jerk-baits, spinner baits, live bait, popping corks, on top of any presentation you would normally use. With this time of year I do find more shorts being caught than the upper slots as back in October. But slots can still be caught with no issue.

Sheepshead are showing up around the oyster bars, docks, bridges, shallow bays, and and any deeper hole having some kind of structure. Fiddler crabs, shrimp, and the occasional artificial have produced success. Current approach is a small circle hook, flouro-leader and using smaller split shot weight and watching/feeling for that quick and elusive bite.
Have even heard reports of friends using spear guns to make things interesting.

Now let’s talk about what has been my obsession for the past month… Gag Grouper!!! I have chased them since the floating grass dispersed and have had great luck. Trolling shallow rock piles with crank baits has been a great change of pace for myself and clients. Grouper have been caught from 9’ out to around the 30’ range trolling Manns and Rapala crank baits near bottom and sometimes close enough to actually bump the structure has provoked a strike. With season ending on December 31st the party won’t last much longer.

Mr. Ted from Kansas with his first grouper; measured a tip over 30”.

While out fishing for grouper you can find a healthy abundance of sea bass. They will strike those crank baits on troll or when you slow down to reel in a grouper.

Striped bass are in in the rivers/creeks and can be a lot of fun going into these colder winter days. Artificial lures and live bait are a go to.

Wishing everyone a safe happy holidays and a new year! Enjoy your time with family and on the water.

- Capt. Red Beard

Last edited by Red Beard on December 22nd, 2021, 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ropeman

Re: Christmas Time is here…

Post by ropeman »

Great report! Nothing beats some fresh fried mullet, red roe, eggs and grits for breakfast!
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Thanks for sharing that fantastic report. Glad you are having success.
MaxB

Post by MaxB »

great report and nice photos
Heading out Sunday!