St Marks 12/24

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

BeeeReady

St Marks 12/24

Post by BeeeReady »

Got to the ramp around 7:15 am on a decent outgoing tide. It sure was a chilly ride out to the lighthouse, and I was glad I brought my thermos of coffee. I decided to head east and beat the outgoing tide to get into a few creeks. I threw mirrolures at the first spot which produced about a dozen trout. Most were average size of 16 in however one was a nice 25 inch trout that was probably around 4 pounds. I meant to move, but after catching the big trout I decided to stay at that spot and maybe move into a creek. As the tide continued to move out I saw several redfish moving around me but could not get them to bite. Most were only of average size however I saw two that probably were around 30 inches although I can't say for sure. Around 10:30 I noticed that the tide was so low that there was no way I was getting up on plane to get out of there. I was still catching fish in this small channel so I was content. Around 11:00 I noticed tailing fish just out of casting distance. I put on my light waders, grabbed a couple of live shrimp and put them in my pocket. I put my power pole down, jumped out of the boat and eased closer to the tailing fish. I hooked a live shrimp onto a 3/16 oz jig head and casted it on the other side of the school moving it closer to them slowly. Instantly I had a nice hookup, although the familiar head shake of a redfish was missing. To my amazement I pulled in about a four or five pound Sheephead. I was too far from the boat to take him back so I released him. I casted again and caught another sheephead. He was smaller but still a nice size. I had two more shrimp and made two more casts. I caught one other sheephead and lost one on another good bite. I was amazed since I never had saw tailing Sheephead. I waded back to the boat to get more shrimp and decided just to go back into the creek. I knew it would be around 3:00 before I could get out. Fishing with a few more mirrolures and some soft plastics I managed about a dozen more trout and finally caught three reds. Around 3:15 I idled out of the creek watching for rocks till I got to deeper water, and headed back to the ramp. It was a fun day. My total fish count was probably two dozen trout, including a nice 25-incher and a few at 21 to 22. I also landed three red fish average size was 22 to 24 inches, and three Sheephead.Water quality was a b+, water temperature was a little cooler than it had been last time , 64°. Wind a c. I sure saw some big rocks. I idled everywhere so I didn't hit anything. I did have one bump on the prop at idle speed but it didn't do any damage. I released all my fish to swim away. Maybe next time if I catch sheephead I will keep one or two, and I'm hoping for one more trip before New Year's Day. Happy holidays to everyone.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
MaxB

Re: St Marks 12/24

Post by MaxB »

Thank you for the report!!!
Leaving in bit for the fort with some out of town family
Mike@jb

Post by Mike@jb »

Great report, thanks for posting
kenfly

Post by kenfly »

Wow! Great report and good read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for the post. It sounds like you had a great time catching the verity pack. If you were using light tackle, those sheepsheads were probably the biggest fight of the day. Like an old friend said one time, you could hardly manage a 5 pound brim they fight so hard, and you did with that bigger sheepshead.