Aucilla fishing trip 1/7-8

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Aucilla fishing trip 1/7-8

Post by onefishtwofish »

Been a while since my last report. Finally got to make the maiden voyage with the new Xpress. It is not totally outfitted yet, but I took it out as is. Really missed the power pole. Used a stake out pole and it worked, but a lot more effort and messing about. It will be in probably before my next trip.

The trip was planned to take my dad (86) and my friend's dad (85) for a fishing trip. My friend lives in Seattle and his dad from Oklahoma, so it was not too cold for them, but chilly for us. We went out at 12pm low tide both days, with it rising to evening. Had to work to find water temp in the 60s, but when we found it at 62, we caught a few. Piddled around in the creeks. Neither could stand up to a day of casting so we fished shrimp and or Jig/Cajun Thunder. We boated 4 reds and 10 trout in two days, lost a few others. Firsts for both fishermen. My dad got the big red (cajun thunder, jig with white shad gulp) and Mr Hugh got the big trout. Our last cast I told them we were going to my never fail redfish spot as the sun was sinking fast and I casted the bait for Mr. Hugh. Put it there and said "We always pick up a red here". A few minutes later down went the bobber and he tightened up. Drag was screaming, and it was headed for the open water! He let it get a little slack, it spit the hook and he missed the big chance for a nice red. He was still talking about it as we cleaned the fish. They are already talking about coming back!

My buddy and I really did not fish as we were casting and baiting hooks for them all day. Totally worth it to wear them out fishing. I'll put a pic of my dad and Mr Hugh on the next post from my phone.
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Re: Aucilla fishing trip 1/7-8

Post by onefishtwofish »

My dad and his second red ever.

Mr Hugh and his son. Traveling to our next spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Juan
Site Sponsor

Post by Juan »

That's what it's all about! :thumbup: Great report.
Life is short.... Ride a Harley and fish a Sea Pro
http://seaproforum.proboards.com/
Salty Gator
Site Sponsor

Post by Salty Gator »

Thanks for the report Doc. Looks like a great couple of days
Catholic girl pray for me, you’re my only hope for heaven
slow motion

Post by slow motion »

Sounds like y'all had a great time. Thanks for sharing your story.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Nice report. I really really miss fishing with my Dad.

I will say you are a much braver man than me to make your maiden voyage in your brand new shiny bay boat at low tide on the Aucilla. Respect. :)

The last time I fished there in the winter I scratched up my Kayak within 100' of the boat ramp. :smt011 My flats skiff will never see that river, ever.
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Sounds like a great trip! I agree with being brave in the Aucilla! The only time I've seen a broken foot was from low tide rocks in the Aucilla.
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

Man I had rather spend that time with those two gentlemen than catch two limits by myself. There are still some things that can't be bought. I have lost a few fishing/hunting buddy's and a brother over the years and I miss them like crazy sometimes. When I get sad I think about some crazy/stupid thing we did together and I can't help but grin. Great report.
Hit-n-Miss

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

:-D That's good stuff right there. Awesome report. And as others have said you are a brave man. Aucilla winter low tide :smt119
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Thanks all. Aucilla is a special place to me. My uncle went on a trip there with me several years ago before he died unexpectedly.

I told my crew if they did not want to bump rocks, don't come on this trip! We did it all day long, but I went with aluminum for that very reason. We bumped more than a few, but did a lot of idling. I have lost a foot and a prop there in the past. When you go on a winter low it is really scary how many rocks there are!
Redbelly
Site Sponsor

Post by Redbelly »

With the clear water and low tides you see many rocks! I fish there in winter with my 14' jon and hit them
Work 2 fish 4 days

1988 vintage 1436 Fisher Jon
1992 vintage 15 hp Merc
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

onefishtwofish wrote: January 11th, 2022, 10:37 pm Thanks all. Aucilla is a special place to me. My uncle went on a trip there with me several years ago before he died unexpectedly.
Did you put in at Mandalay or some other ramp?
GaryDroze
Site Sponsor

Post by GaryDroze »

Very moving. Dad sparked my obsession with fishing 50 years ago, but at age 87, he's losing the race against time. Mom wants me to get him out on the water a time or two before it is too late and then I'll have regrets for not completing the circle. That's my New Year's resolution. Thanks for the motivation.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

ropeman wrote: January 12th, 2022, 1:16 pm
onefishtwofish wrote: January 11th, 2022, 10:37 pm Thanks all. Aucilla is a special place to me. My uncle went on a trip there with me several years ago before he died unexpectedly.
Did you put in at Mandalay or some other ramp?
Mandalay

Do it Gary. I took him hunting the week before for doe weekend. He missed on on the first day, but scored on day 2. Just a small deer but he was ecstatic.
Phil. 4:8

Post by Phil. 4:8 »

Thanks for sharing the report. Taking us old guys and the kids not only brightens our days, but yours as well. Hope those gentlemen can make it for another trip. And, y'all got fresh Aucilla fish for supper.