What am I doing wrong

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

slow motion

Re: What am I doing wrong

Post by slow motion »

Whatever you are doing wrong I did too. Got skunked. A few halfhearted bites and a couple gars that released themselves I caught 0.
mpa_72001

Post by mpa_72001 »

Who cares if he told em where to go.ive seen people fish a spot right after me after seeing us catch fish and them not catch anything. U can tell someone where to go but it doesn't mean they will catch fish.ive been on the flats pretty much from Keaton to st marks for the last two months catching fish too where folks are saying their not there.
gary z

Post by gary z »

So where should we go next Saturday ??🤪
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

gary z wrote: February 28th, 2022, 8:22 am So where should we go next Saturday ??🤪

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
“It's hard to measure almost.....because almost doesn't matter”
― John Dutton
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

I scouted around the East River Saturday. Caught 2 cats and a sting ray so I wasn't skunked! :). Water temp was 68 in the river and 72 in East River.

Gonna make reservations at Stony Bayou next Saturday!
geofish

Post by geofish »

Water was super-clear and 70 degrees on the flats by the rock garden. I tried a few spots in the river, a while drifting the flats, and then it was so calm I felt compelled to hit some nearshore reefs to see if the sheepshead were spawning yet. Saw lots of dolphin playing at several spots, but I didn't put any fish in the boat. Maybe mid-March it'll all come together.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

fishinfool
Site Sponsor

Post by fishinfool »

Trolled in the St. Marks river early Sunday while waiting for some water to come in, caught a 30" Redfish. Then moved to a bar near the river mouth and picked up a 23" and an 18" Trout.
By then the water was getting in so I moved to some creeks and picked up four more Reds and a few Trout. I was back to the fort ramp by 3:30.
Water temp started at 68 and finished at 71. All in all it was a successful day.
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Did a little fishing near the lighthouse Sunday and caught both color drum so I wasn't skunked. Maybe one day I'll get close to limit!
Ted in Tallahassee

Secret spots

Post by Ted in Tallahassee »

I’ve been fishing in the St. Marks area in earnest for about the last 8 years. I keep a fishing diary and write down everything after each trip. I’ve read this forum for years and have learned a lot here. If I remember right one of my first posts was to ask how to catch a redfish, as I’d heard a lot about people catching redfish but had never caught one yet. That’s how green I was. “Cast a Gulp jig around oyster bars” I was told. So I tried that the next time out, and after about 100 casts, what do you know, I caught a (short) red! I also had no inkling about tides. Whenever I’d go, it was always a surprise as to what the tide was doing. Some days I’d be heading out and go, “man, look at all these exposed oyster bars!” I was also clueless about where bars were at high tide. I hit bottom a lot! Many hours of looking at satellite maps, getting and programming GPS coordinates in primitive, then better GPS units, learning from other people here who I’ve fished with, has made me what I am today—a mediocre fisherman who almost always catches something, usually doesn’t hit a rock, and hardly ever gets skunked. (But that still happens sometimes.) At this point, I have dozens of “good spots” that at one time or another I had success at. So on any given trip I hit maybe three or four of those spots, and maybe try to find a new spot in between. That’s all I really have time for in a whole day. There are too many known “spots,” and those not discovered yet, to cover, even in a week of fishing all day. I have often taken non-fisherman friends who know I have sometimes done well and seem to know what I'm doing and nothing’s worked and we catch maybe two short trout and a catfish. The next time I’ll go by myself and it will be a “cast your net that way” Sea of Galilee kind of day. That’s just how it goes. My point is that telling someone about a particular spot in detail, how to fish it and when and with what doesn’t mean that they’ll catch anything there the next 10 times they try it. As to the Stony Bayou spot described in the post above, well I’ve been by it and I haven’t seen any boats there let alone 472. The bay’s a big place, and fish are pretty much everywhere, sometimes they’re biting and sometimes they’re not. If there’s anyone to get mad at, it’s the ever-present dolphins out there. Do you have any idea what kinds of fish they eat, and how much, per day, every day? It boggles my mind.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

Edited for brevity and a general lack of giving a .....
Last edited by rockyg on March 24th, 2022, 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
― John Dutton
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Tight lines
Last edited by SHOWBOAT on March 24th, 2022, 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
rockyg

Post by rockyg »

:hammer:
― John Dutton
ropeman

Re: Secret spots

Post by ropeman »

Ted in Tallahassee wrote: March 24th, 2022, 8:30 am I’ve been fishing in the St. Marks area in earnest for about the last 8 years. . . . . It boggles my mind.
Great perspective! Thanks for the comment. One day soon I hope to have a great day fishing, but it has eluded me for several months.