Running From Mouth of St Marks River to Aucilla River flats

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

rmax

Running From Mouth of St Marks River to Aucilla River flats

Post by rmax »

Is it practical and safe to make this run? I want to avoid any rock gardens. Any waypoints to aim for that will keep me off the rocks? Thanks
doomtrpr_z71

Re: Running From Mouth of St Marks River to Aucilla River flats

Post by doomtrpr_z71 »

Run outside the stake line and you'll be fine

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

Best advice I can give.. dedicate the time to running that track on a low tide. Than you will have a solid path; will be time consuming but worth it in the long run.

Other than what was stated run out wide and keep your eyes open. The only issue with staying wide is when choppy waters occur your going to want to shortcut route to get back and forth.
SHOWBOAT
Site Sponsor

Post by SHOWBOAT »

Not a bad run at all. What kind of boat?
In the end we will conserve only what we love. We will love only what we understand. And we will understand only what we are taught.
rmax

Post by rmax »

21' blue wave classic
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

Navionics is a great tool! This course is only 13 miles.

https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating/r ... nvDfyd%60O
rmax

Post by rmax »

Do you find it's better than the map that comes with my Garmin Echomap?
Red Beard

Post by Red Beard »

You can always get the Florida Marine Tracks card if you have a compatible machine and run along. Most the hazards are marked well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rmax

Post by rmax »

Thanks guys
ropeman

Post by ropeman »

rmax wrote: March 7th, 2022, 6:04 pm Do you find it's better than the map that comes with my Garmin Echomap?
I like it better than my Garmin GPS, but I use it on my phone and can't drive the boat with my phone. It's only compatible with the Garmin Echomap UHD or Ultra.
rmax

Post by rmax »

I've got the new UD 94SV Echomap. I'm confused if the Navionics incorporated in this unit precludes buying and adding a navionics chip. I talked with a lady at Garmin support who told me that adding the Navionics chip would give me improved map features. So I ordered the chip. But now, after reading more reviews, I'm not sure I haven't wasted my money. Anyone with knowledge of this product please comment.
onefishtwofish
Site Sponsor

Post by onefishtwofish »

Depends on what your unit was preloaded with. I have the exact model as that and it was preloaded with the Bluechart G3. Look on Garmin for the extras that come with getting the BlueChart G3 Vision or the Navionics+ Vision and see if you want those features. I think the regular is fine, but I will play with a while before deciding.

You can find the info here: https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?faq=A ... TMS8irl4t8
Ducks, turkeys, flats fishing. Who has time for golf?
Big Tim

Post by Big Tim »

Late to the discussion but I made that run twice in November in a 22' Sportsman with no issues. Pretty much stayed along the 8'-12' line on the Garmin. Trout fishing was good that week in the Aucilla flats.
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

Re I am in agreement with Red Beard.
It doesn't take a rock much smaller than a soccer ball to ruin your lower unit or your day. These do not show up on maps. The best tool you have is your eyes.Although time consuming, several trips on a low tide exploring at low speed or idle speed is the way to go. Never become overconfident because we all know rocks are migratory. Rocks don't die they multiply! Good luck and be careful.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi
BeeeReady

Post by BeeeReady »

BeeeReady wrote: March 10th, 2022, 10:25 am Re I am in agreement with Red Beard.
It doesn't take a rock much smaller than a soccer ball to ruin your lower unit or your day. These do not show up on maps. The best tool you have is your eyes.Although time consuming, several trips on a low tide exploring at low speed or idle speed is the way to go. Never become overconfident because we all know rocks are migratory. Rocks don't die they multiply! When in doubt, run outside of the stake line.
Good luck and be careful.
Backcountry 189 Pro Guide
Suzuki Df140
Semper Fi