St Marks 3-17

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

St Marks 3-17

Post by woodstock52 »

A friend & I fished some yesterday morning after launching from the fort.
I felt the tide needed time to start coming in, so we fished for some bass first. He picked up a couple & I landed 5 & missed two others. Most were kind of small but still fun. So after an 1 1/2 hours it was time for a change.
We moved to the bars inside the mouth & i picked up a 15+ trout on the 3rd cast & thought here we go!
Well that was it for the next 2 hours. On our 5th bar he had a nice trout lip off at the boat (maybe 18), & I landed a 16" spanish & 16+ red.
I am thinking the flats must be holding the fish, but after the cold snap I hoped they were inside the mouth, besides I do love fishing around the bars & the conditions were perfect. I guess the fish thought differently.
Where have you guys been finding them?
PhishingNole

Re: St Marks 3-17

Post by PhishingNole »

Took the family out yesterday. Based on the weather and fog, we slept in and got on the water around 9:30. Water was mid to high 60s and there was very little wind till noonish.

We went straight for the east flats and started shallow (2') and worked our way out deeper.

We caught a keeper flounder and about 10 trout (3 slot), all in 4-6'. One trout on a gulp, one on a Zman shrimpz, the rest on live shrimp.

Never got so much as a nibble in less than 4'. Never got a bite on any paddle tails, spoon, or plugs.

Live shrimp were by far more effective, and only when on the bottom. Had them on a popping cork/ circle hook with limited interest.

The kids used 1/4 ounce trout eyes hooked through the back of the shrimp and bounced them off the bottom with the most success. Both the trout on artificial were bounced off the bottom.

TL:DR

Shrimp, bounced on the bottom in 4'-6', were effective on the east flats. Nothing else was productive.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

woodstock52
Site Sponsor

Re: St Marks 3-17

Post by woodstock52 »

Maybe it was the full moon. The fish may have been full from feeding at night?