May Fishing Report

Use this area to post inshore fishing reports from the area. Please try to include relevant information such as:
Location, date, time, water conditions, weather conditions, baits, techniques, species caught, etc.

Moderators: bman, Chalk, Tom Keels

Saltydawg

Re: May Fishing Report

Post by Saltydawg »

My wife and I fished Steinhatchee couple days first week of May. She basically wore me out the first day 7 keeper trout to my 3 and she got a personal best 23+ inches. Second day results sorta reversed so we basically tied. Strange thing was we fished West one day and south the next but caught VERY few shorts. Our last trip, in the fall, we were catching probably 4-5 shorts for every legal fish. Was wild in that I assume the white baits were running and lady fish were exploding everywhere, some boils were hundreds of yards long. I tried pre-dawn topwater one morning and while I could see the occasional roll of a different fish you couldn’t make a retrieve without a lady or 5 hitting lure and throwing $15 topwaters to ladyfish is not my idea of a good way to waste money. Also smooth puffers were everywhere. I’ve been fishing Steinhatchee for 60 years and never had seen these until the last couple years and now everywhere . Our next trip is Apalachee Bay in June and probably leave Steinhatchee to the scallopers till fall.
Hit-n-Miss

Re: May Fishing Report

Post by Hit-n-Miss »

Saltydawg wrote: May 18th, 2022, 5:48 pm My wife and I fished Steinhatchee couple days first week of May. She basically wore me out the first day 7 keeper trout to my 3 and she got a personal best 23+ inches. Second day results sorta reversed so we basically tied. Strange thing was we fished West one day and south the next but caught VERY few shorts. Our last trip, in the fall, we were catching probably 4-5 shorts for every legal fish. Was wild in that I assume the white baits were running and lady fish were exploding everywhere, some boils were hundreds of yards long. I tried pre-dawn topwater one morning and while I could see the occasional roll of a different fish you couldn’t make a retrieve without a lady or 5 hitting lure and throwing $15 topwaters to ladyfish is not my idea of a good way to waste money. Also smooth puffers were everywhere. I’ve been fishing Steinhatchee for 60 years and never had seen these until the last couple years and now everywhere . Our next trip is Apalachee Bay in June and probably leave Steinhatchee to the scallopers till fall.
Sounds like a good trip.